Water in old bottles

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Bad Wombat

Re: Water in old bottles

Post by Bad Wombat »

Stasher wrote:...IF YOU ARE PREPPING FOR LOSS OF UTILITIES ... Two litres a day per person appears to be sensible
Can't disagree with any of that Stasher! I don't store water, but we have several natural water sources nearby, plus the ability to collect it and sterilize it. If you are including cooking and hygiene then I would suspect 2L per person might be something of a minimum.
BaseOne

Post by BaseOne »

The best way to discover exactly how much you need is to pick a day when you're at home. Then measure everything you use for

drinking + cooking
teeth + hand/face washing
body washing

Like Bad Wombat, we have a water source nearby (150m to a relatively clean lake), so we only hold 20 litres of drinking water.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

The Sphere Standards are an international minimum standard for humanitarian response.

http://www.spherehandbook.org/en/water- ... -quantity/

Their recommendation is 15l per person per day for washing, cooking, and drinking. That's quite a lot. Some of this could be mitigated in the short term by using e.g. wet wipes, disposable paper plates etc. but I don't see how you could have engough water stored to cater for a family of four in a long-term major disruption. Even an ICB will only store 1000l of water. I store water for a couple of days immediate short-term disruption, but we have no springs nearby - we're on porous chalk, and the river is a mile away. I suspect we'd be dependent on bowsers very quickly.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

featherstick wrote:The Sphere Standards are an international minimum standard for humanitarian response.

http://www.spherehandbook.org/en/water- ... -quantity/

Their recommendation is 15l per person per day for washing, cooking, and drinking. That's quite a lot. Some of this could be mitigated in the short term by using e.g. wet wipes, disposable paper plates etc. but I don't see how you could have engough water stored to cater for a family of four in a long-term major disruption. Even an ICB will only store 1000l of water. I store water for a couple of days immediate short-term disruption, but we have no springs nearby - we're on porous chalk, and the river is a mile away. I suspect we'd be dependent on bowsers very quickly.
15litres? Blimey! Too much to store, too much to store..............

Maybe we all need to learn this 8-)
https://www.britishdowsers.org/learn/

I have been a little sceptical in the past of dowsing, however, round here if someone wants to sink a bore hole, who is the first person to be brought in? You guessed it - a dowser - I understand that an experienced dowser can even tell how much water there is. Impressive

Friends of mine (extremely level headed and practical) needed to locate a water pipe they knew was running thro their land, so they read up on dowsing and thought 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' given that it was a free and non disruptive option to try. And it worked!

Has anyone else tried it successfully?
Knowledge is power
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I've seen a dowser locate a spring for our bungalow in Ireland. There were two on the site, he told us which one had more water, and we used it with no interruptions for many years. So yes, I'd be open-minded.
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Post by Grumpy'sBetterHalf »

The water pipe on our land wasn't where the water board's map said it was, so, after digging several exploratory trenches, they tried dowsing. Found the pipe :D