Water Filters

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Carrot Cruncher

Re: Water Filters

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

It may have been through a dinosaur but hopefully it has been purified and filtered since ;)
Carrot Cruncher

Where do you plan on using the filter adeleb ?

The best option for your house may not be the best option for a BOB etc
A Berkey/British Berkfeld is a great option for your house and they also do smaller versions if you want something more portable
Setfree

Post by Setfree »

This is true :)
I guess I want a SHTF situation where I may not be in my home but anywhere, who knows where Id end up...so the Berkey many be too big so its between the Katadyn Combi or Lifesaver, I guess either are better than nothing :)
Carrot Cruncher

Both of those you mention have a good reputation, but I haven't tried either of them myself.

I'm sure someone on here picked up a berkey and a portable berkey for a good price, I cant remember who it was though, they might be able to give you a review of the smaller one
SW_pheonix

Post by SW_pheonix »

adeleb wrote: Is anyone else worried about radiation in water and what do you think is solution?
It's something to think about. We have registered radiation for Fukishima in the UK. So anyone drinking rainwater is potentially taking in very tiny quantities of the fallout right now.

Nothing to panic about at the moment.
It would be an issue if we had a nuclear emergency closer to home. There are hundreds of reactors in the UK and europe. If one were to meltdown then our water supply would be tainted. Lots of treated water from the tap comes from open sources and part of the water treatment plants are open to the elements for the oxidation part of the process. So contaminents could get in and make it into the water supply.
Setfree

Post by Setfree »

I agree and certainly would not like to be in the US right now where the government and mainstream puppet media is blatantly lieing about whats actually happening in Japan and risk to human health, see below;

http://theintelhub.com/2011/04/06/ameri ... -for-food/

http://theintelhub.com/2011/03/28/epa-t ... americans/

Also concerned that their solution seems to be 'oh lets raise safe levels of radiation to 100,000 times current safe amout' ( there is no safe amount) just twiddle some numbers and all that nasty radiation in the water goes away.LIES!!

I was confused as I had read somewhere a filter cannot take out radiation but had found a US one that claimed to using Zeolite...then there are reverse osmosis and distillation thats supposed to work but in a SHTF situation who has time to distill water?!
Carrot Cruncher

adeleb wrote:Also concerned that their solution seems to be 'oh lets raise safe levels of radiation to 100,000 times current safe amout' ( there is no safe amount)
A good job you dont live in Cornwall then, there's plenty of radiation there ;) :D

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=17397
Much of Cornwall is designated as a radon affected area. This means that at least 1% of the domestic properties have a radon level at or above the action level of 200 Becquerels per cubic metre (Bq/m-3).
That could explain their weirdness...sorry Janso :lol:
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

There is "radiation" all around us, as CC has said there are levels of natural radiation in Cornwall, there are even levels of radiation in tea bags, Most of the time there is nothing higher than usual "background" levels, it takes a lot to make you ill though, so I think the old saying "Keep calm and carry on" is a wise one in the UK at the moment.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My own domestic back-up is a slow sand filter.I have a linked rainwater catchment.Of course in a shtf situation you can filter water through a cloth and just boil it.I think we have to think low tech in our preps-easy to use and mend.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Technik

Post by Technik »

I use a DI (Deionized) water filtration system at work which uses a resin to filter the water of any particules. I live in a soft water area so a DI system is enough, in hard water areas you would need a RO (reverse osmosis) system which on top of the resin also has membranes.
I have it in my van so I would be ok for a while I think...