Water Filters

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Carrot Cruncher

Re: Water Filters

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

The only practical way in an emergency that we would be able to use sea water for drinking would be by distilling it unfortunately
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:The only practical way in an emergency that we would be able to use sea water for drinking would be by distilling it unfortunately
That takes me back to the chemistry lessons, boiling salt water over a bunson burner and collecting the salt and then testing the water with litmus paper!!

BTW, missed you CC - your comments are always so helpful. Hope all is OK!! :)
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Been riding round France on my motorbike :D
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Been riding round France on my motorbike :D
That sounds great - hope you had a good relaxing time!
CatInTheTinFoilHat

Post by CatInTheTinFoilHat »

I've been using a Katadyn Combi water filter for about the last year or so on camping/hiking trips and it works great if a little on the heavy and expensive side. It's very robust and has a silver impregnated ceramic filter which lasts for ages, the silver is supposed to stop mould growing in it, although I always let it dry out properly when I get home. It also has a refillable carbon filter unit which is a bit fiddly to fill but seems to work quite well especially if the water source is a bit stagnant ie helps to remove bad smells and it does seem to make questionable water taste cleaner. It is claimed that the carbon can remove some of the chemicals present in the water but I can't confirm this. If the water isn't too bad then you don't really have to use the carbon. I bought a spare ceramic filter for it to put in the bug out bag along with a few spare carbon refills and the unit comes with spare rubber seals and some pump cylinder lubricant. One carbon refil pouch can refil the filter twice and is supposed to be good for 400 litres per fill. The ceramic filter is good for 50000 litres :o . I always boil the water or use iodine to sterilise if boiling is not possible (I can't get past the taste of chlorine) as the filter may well get rid of most of the nasties, turbidity and cysts etc it won't get rid of viruses. All in all it's a good choice but a little heavy and bulky but built to last.

My friend has recently bought a 'Pureeasy Soldier Water Filter' which also uses a ceramic filter but it is much lighter than the Katadyn. I can't really pass judgment on it yet but it looks alright and can be had for around £25 on fleabay which seems like a good deal if you want lighter and cheaper, doesn't look as hard wearing though.
sledge

Post by sledge »

I'd recommend the Lifesaver 4000, we used them out in Afghan, 4000 litres of purified water, that's over a years supply! A simple solar still would supply any other water you'd ever need (let's not forget that we live in the temperate zone). I was reading in the forums about the problems of storage; I'd always recommend smallish metal containers, preferably stainless steel, they can be easily sterilised by just placing in a fire for a few minutes. Obvious warning here is to open them, so they don't explode and also let them cool down before closing otherwise they may crush. Then you could place water in them from your solar still.

On another note, don't think water off your roof is clean, birds crap on your roof :-)
Sledge

If it bleeds - you can kill it - if you can kill it - you can eat it
I love animals - I've eaten loads of them