Lifestraws and generic versions

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
jansman

Lifestraws and generic versions

Post by jansman »

I am looking at a Lifestraw filter for my ghb.I currently have a Sawyer mini in there.I am always looking to lose weight.I notice a lot of Chinese knock offs too.comments?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Re: Lifestraws and generic versions

Post by peejay »

Hmm, something like that isn't one of things I'd personally trust to a knock-off, especially one from so far away (little chance of recourse). Water is one of the few things that I'd rather invest in the "gold standard" quality TBH. Almost anything else can make do with cheap-as-chips without such a potentially life threatening risk...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm Hmm, something like that isn't one of things I'd personally trust to a knock-off, especially one from so far away (little chance of recourse). Water is one of the few things that I'd rather invest in the "gold standard" quality TBH. Almost anything else can make do with cheap-as-chips without such a potentially life threatening risk...
How I see it too. I've got a fair bit of stuff over the years from China, probably plenty other places too, some things I'll try and get the best I can and water purification is one of those. I've got a wee pouch which I put in whatever bag I'm taking, ghb or hill walking bag and it has a millbank bag, puritabs (25L and 1L), a couple of big plastic bags with 1L and 2L marked off and of course..... a Sawyer, collapsible water bladder and back flush. I've got a bottle that purifies too and its 'nice' but lacks the versatility (and 100,000 gallons or whatever that Sawyer promise).

If you're trying to save space and weight Jansman, leave the backflush behind. I've been assured (not tried it myself) that it will be fine for a few days without backflushing, you're left with the ickliest water filter you can get then, they even fit pop bottles which you can find wherever.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The way I thought too Deeps. I had a bad case of shoots in Belize a couple of lifetimes ago!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:48 pm The way I thought too Deeps. I had a bad case of shoots in Belize a couple of lifetimes ago!
Belize wasn't on my career horizon (thankfully) but I've a pongo mate who was there a few times, yeah, skitters, leaches, all sorts of nasty stuff. I've learned how to use moss and charcoal to make a filter but by preference, I'll take an off the shelf job with a guarantee thingumy for water if I can get it.
The water bottles with a built in filter are good in some respects, less dicking around than with the Sawyer for a straight forward drink but for me not enough to compromise, that I have a few Sawyers maybe makes me prejudiced slightly. For a 'pocket' filter though I struggle to get past the Sawyer mini and a collapsible bag for it, you don't need the straw or back flush if its for a few days I guess. Again, not tried it but keep promising myself I will although I rarely use the filter up here anyway. If I'm hillwalking there's usually plenty run off and I usually like to carry a couple litres anyway. If I'm camping away from a water source (I have a great wee site for wild camping that I keep going back to) then its usually not a big deal to carry that bit more water.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Likewise I have three sawyer minis now (car, caravan, bag is the general idea) but haven't actually had cause to use one of them yet.

I have the collapsible bottle that come with them, plus I have a stash of similar collapsible bottles I got in poundland last summer (been watching for them this year but not found any).

I also have a couple of Water-to-Go bottles. I think going via sawyer to w2g bottle should be pretty damn sparkling I reckon!

Think I'll add a millbank bag too as a pre-filter can't hurt at all. Currently have one languishing in my amazon basket...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 pm Likewise I have three sawyer minis now (car, caravan, bag is the general idea) but haven't actually had cause to use one of them yet.

I have the collapsible bottle that come with them, plus I have a stash of similar collapsible bottles I got in poundland last summer (been watching for them this year but not found any).

I also have a couple of Water-to-Go bottles. I think going via sawyer to w2g bottle should be pretty damn sparkling I reckon!

Think I'll add a millbank bag too as a pre-filter can't hurt at all. Currently have one languishing in my amazon basket...
I've ended up using the Sawyer mini (and backflush) basically 'just cos', I'd rather have a play as it were. The places I hill walk the water is lovely and while I know I'm supposed to filter it, I've not bothered in the 35 years or so that I've been going. Apart from having a play for the sake of it. :lol:
I've not tried the filter with a muddy puddle or the like, I probably should.

Its the same with the millbank bag if I'm being honest, I've 'played' but not used them in anger in somewhere that requires any serious filtering. It still gives you a feel for things though.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I'm similar to be totally honest as my treks to the great outdoors always revolve around the caravan although I'm getting the urge to join a friend on some proper walking with a bit of subtle wild camping so always have this in mind with anything I look at these days (e.g. lightweight gear etc.)