Berkey water system

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Stonecarver

Berkey water system

Post by Stonecarver »

Like a lot of people I have some water stored at home. I live in Scotland so water shortages arent likely to be much if an issue. Only clean water. Have been thinking of getting a Berkey system to use as a filter. Has anyone got one or something similar
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Re: Berkey water system

Post by Deeps »

They do look good but pricey and as you say water isn't really the problem here, clean water is but can be 'got' relatively cheaply by filtering and boiling. It depends on how much you think you'll need but I've got a couple of Sawyer Mini's for out and about and millbank bags to sift the worst of the crap before boiling and/or puritabing. If money was no object I'd have one though.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sawyer 3l coke bottle pegged to the wall upside down with the base cut off

http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/down ... &mode=view

Much cheaper and portable / multi use

Sawyer do a specific set up but mine cost about £30 all in and I got some fizzy pop ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Sawyer 3l coke bottle pegged to the wall upside down with the base cut off

http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/down ... &mode=view
Aye, for me and mine I've worked on a Sawyer mini as being enough if you're creative although its a bit of a fankle. Its a fantastic wee system and while I've not been brave enough to not backflush, if you decided to wing it, it takes up no room at all. I still get Berkey envy though.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Used mine in the lake District when I run out of water from a stream used a 500ml coke bottle to collect and squeeze and fill a hydration bladder
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Used mine in the lake District when I run out of water from a stream used a 500ml coke bottle to collect and squeeze and fill a hydration bladder
Used a Sawyer mini a good few times up the hills although to be honest, it was so I could have a play. I know we're supposed to filter everything we drink but when I'm up the highlands I've rarely bothered, eat/melt snow as required too. I did want to play with the Sawyer to familiarise myself with it though, not that its rocket science, its a very user friendly system.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I would love a Berkey, but I can't justify the expense and It's having to have spares of the filter candles that puts me off.
I also have a Sawyer mini, it forms part of my safe water system, with care they can last a lifetime.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Yorkshire Andy that looks like a good idea. The expense of the filters for the berkey does put me off. Do these filters...meaning sawyer and the berkey ...have no expiry date?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I believe the Berkey filters last a couple of years, the Sawyer mini is good for 100,000 gallons with the proper care. But as always, do your own research to confirm. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

This is a system I intend to buy, as soon as I have the spare cash, so I've done some research and according to their website a pair of Berkey filters last up to 23,000 litres, or up to 11 years use, cleaning the filters every 12 months. I'm fairly sure that spare filters, as long as they're not opened, don't go out of date