30 Water Supply. Completed

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
mightymayesy

30 Water Supply. Completed

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
I don't post a lot but I lurk the forums all the time.
I have hit my 30 day supply today for my wife, child and I. Including sanitary and cooking. 6 x 2 litre x 30.
Next stop, 60 and then 90 days.
Thanks for all your posts!
Attachments
Water.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Deeps

Re: 30 Water Supply. Completed

Post by Deeps »

Good stuff mate, I genuinely think 'high quality H2O' is overlooked because we take it all for granted, its the cornerstone of pretty much everything, even if its not very sexy.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Water is essential yes, and it's heavy, I've said it before, be sure your floor can support it, I see over 200 Kg sitting there in water alone ;) your quantity suggests you have just over 350 Kg at this point, it's good that it is at the edge of a room, go to 90 days in the same place and you have over a metric tonne of water bearing down, I wish we had that sort of space, and I do fear for you truly, I'm playing Russian roulette myself with all the stuff I have stacked up in the loft :lol: Earthquakes are rare in the UK, but you can bet the lot would come down if we had anything we could feel here.
I dream of a home with more space which I could prep safely, have storage arranged so as rotation was a breeze, and the other thing is flammable stuff! I would dearly like to be able to store anything with a little warning sign on somewhere not attached to the main living part, even an attached garage or shed makes me nervous, the average house when it comes to dangerous stuff would make a health and safety inspector have kittens on the spot, what a prepper's home would do to them I dread to think :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Nicely done, don't forget rotation of your supply. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Thanks for the advice and not something I had not considered at this point with my small supply. Although I am fortunate for two reasons;
1. This is on a ground floor in my gym at the moment.
2. I am actually building an extension on the side of house and the kitchen is specifically being designed around a full blown prepping pantry (I'm so excited about the pantry and fortunate my wife is fully bought in to prepping) that will also be on the ground level. But i'll be sure to ask the question about 90 x 6 x 2lts of water on the floorboards to the architect / builders. Great advice.

Plymtom wrote:Water is essential yes, and it's heavy, I've said it before, be sure your floor can support it, I see over 200 Kg sitting there in water alone ;) your quantity suggests you have just over 350 Kg at this point, it's good that it is at the edge of a room, go to 90 days in the same place and you have over a metric tonne of water bearing down, I wish we had that sort of space, and I do fear for you truly, I'm playing Russian roulette myself with all the stuff I have stacked up in the loft :lol: Earthquakes are rare in the UK, but you can bet the lot would come down if we had anything we could feel here.
I dream of a home with more space which I could prep safely, have storage arranged so as rotation was a breeze, and the other thing is flammable stuff! I would dearly like to be able to store anything with a little warning sign on somewhere not attached to the main living part, even an attached garage or shed makes me nervous, the average house when it comes to dangerous stuff would make a health and safety inspector have kittens on the spot, what a prepper's home would do to them I dread to think :lol:
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

done a similar thing and got 30 days of water for me and the family.

I wanted to do this anyway as I've not sorted my butts out yet (if you know what I mean) - but what really gee'd me up was when we had a new gravity water system at home (with a tank in the loft) replaced by a high pressure system, straight off the mains with no tank in the loft..

Ok, so there is a tank of sorts but its a hot water cylinder, similar to the old one, that'd get emptied and used, but..

Main reason was when I mentioned to the plumber about no water supply in the house if the mains was cut off was his reply "water companies have a legal obligation to put bowsers on the street if you're cut off at the mains". I don't fancy queuing up with the great unwashed (non prepper types) and fighting over a couple of litres of water AND relying on the water people to get their fingers out, sure I'd queue up anyway as if i got some water from that source it'd all help but if it went a bit sporty I'd soon leave the scene..

Most people are happy to leave it to other people....
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

This month is on the cards for more water the kitchen cupboard kickboards pull off aiming at Morrison's 5lt square bottles a perfect fit ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

dazthechippy wrote:done a similar thing and got 30 days of water for me and the family.

I wanted to do this anyway as I've not sorted my butts out yet (if you know what I mean) - but what really gee'd me up was when we had a new gravity water system at home (with a tank in the loft) replaced by a high pressure system, straight off the mains with no tank in the loft..

Ok, so there is a tank of sorts but its a hot water cylinder, similar to the old one, that'd get emptied and used, but..

Main reason was when I mentioned to the plumber about no water supply in the house if the mains was cut off was his reply "water companies have a legal obligation to put bowsers on the street if you're cut off at the mains". I don't fancy queuing up with the great unwashed (non prepper types) and fighting over a couple of litres of water AND relying on the water people to get their fingers out, sure I'd queue up anyway as if i got some water from that source it'd all help but if it went a bit sporty I'd soon leave the scene..

Most people are happy to leave it to other people....
Why we prep in a nutshell although I don't see all non preppers as the great unwashed, I know plenty folk who have all sorts of skills and/or gear that would be useful and they don't have a months worth of water stuck away. I'm guessing you were tongue in cheek but there are some preppers who have a bit of a snidey view of non preppers. If the bowsers didn't appear I'd be a bit shy with the water but I have the ability to make clean water so I could share SOME of my stashed stuff knowing that I could make more of the good stuff. The chances are that if its just the water that's gone off then there will be galloons of water available and we could rip the piss and stash loads.
peejay

Post by peejay »

It'd be a bit of a pain having to get water from emergency situations like that - on the one hand it wouldn't be easy to transport significant amounts of it logistically (at least for those without cars) & even if you could, it would likely be rationed to some extent.

Had a biggie in Telford recently: https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/201 ... -continue/
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

There are lots of reasons not to rely on bowsers, here are a couple of (admittedly old) BBC links:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12102570
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4166515.stm