Algae in IBCs

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Algae in IBCs

Post by Grumpy'sBetterHalf »

We have 4 IBCs which we filled with clean water (from our neighbour's household supply). We wrapped them in tarpaulins to exclude light but while we weren't there some extremely strong winds ripped the tarpaulins to shreds and we now have algae growing in the IBCs.
I thought emptying them and then putting in some bleach and rotating them in all directions (which we need to do anyway to roll them further up the hill) might work to clean off the algae, but I'm worried about how to dispose of the bleach afterwards, because we don't have any sort of drainage.
Grumpy thought perhaps water purifying tablets might work, but they're the same as bleach aren't they?
featherstick

Re: Algae in IBCs

Post by featherstick »

What are you using them for? IS the water just static and sitting there for an emergency, or are you using it and replenishing it?
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

We were originally using it and replenishing it, but now that we have a mains connection it's just there for emergencies.
When we have built the house we'd like to set up the IBCs as tanks to collect rainwater.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Empty, clean, dispose, refill with 2-3 drops of bleach per litre of water (probably a couple of bottles if you are treating 4,000l but you can work it out easily).

Physical removal with a brush/hose/pressure washer might be easier than rolling a gurt big ICB up and down a hill. There's going to be plenty of water and detergent sloshing about, whatever you do.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

What about Bokashi mud balls/pellets?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Thanks featherstick. Hadn't thought of that. :oops:
Brambles, I know nowt about bokashi, but I'll do some research.