3 sources of water.

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
BlinkingCory

Re: 3 sources of water.

Post by BlinkingCory »

In the Camper we have 100L in four jerry cans, I change these out now and again.
Also a couple of Sawyer filters stashed away.

At home, likewise 100L.
Semi-Retired now and supplement the income by fish breeding. So have 2200L of aquarium water from numerous tanks at hand to use with another couple of Sawyer filters. That's obviously in a dire situation, but the option is there.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The Sawyer filters are great. A classic case of technology and price combining to make for a good product at a good price.

I wonder how many are on their way to Lancashire right now? They are still boiling water 'til Wednesday it seems.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:In the Camper we have 100L in four jerry cans, I change these out now and again.

At home, likewise 100L.
Semi-Retired now and supplement the income by fish breeding. So have 2200L of aquarium water from numerous tanks at hand to use with another couple of Sawyer filters. That's obviously in a dire situation, but the option is there.
You've just reminded me that we've got 2 90 Litre tanks in the dining room, I'm sure if it came down to it I'd have noticed. :lol: I do fancy getting 1 or preferably 2 water butts as well but even at the height of summer, water really isn't an issue for me, if in the unlikely event that I couldn't leave the house/garden then it would become more so I suppose.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:The Sawyer filters are great. A classic case of technology and price combining to make for a good product at a good price.

I wonder how many are on their way to Lancashire right now? They are still boiling water 'til Wednesday it seems.
Cryptosporidium can be removed by a 1 Micron Absolute filter
Sawyer filters are 0.1 micron Absolute
Result !

Mind you, I'd still be boiling my water..... Tea is important :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

jansman wrote:The Sawyer filters are great. A classic case of technology and price combining to make for a good product at a good price.

Yup.
It's this sort of prepping I'm most interest in.
A simple little filter means these problems are no longer a problem.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Deeps wrote:
BlinkingCory wrote:In the Camper we have 100L in four jerry cans, I change these out now and again.

At home, likewise 100L.
You've just reminded me that we've got 2 90 Litre tanks in the dining room, I'm sure if it came down to it I'd have noticed. :lol: I do fancy getting 1 or preferably 2 water butts as well but even at the height of summer, water really isn't an issue for me, if in the unlikely event that I couldn't leave the house/garden then it would become more so I suppose.
Not wanting to go off topic, but if you grow veg or whatnot, dirty aquarium water is top notch when it comes to watering/fertilizing plants.
Whatever you do, don't flush or ditch the dirty water down a drain. Hopefully you'll be cleaning the filters out in the water you remove from the tanks when doing a water change? That water is like steroids for a lot of plants. Probably the Nitrates and fish waste combination. My greenhouse almost explodes with life overnight. Tomatoes and peppers especially. Apologies if I'm teaching ya to suck eggs.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

BlinkingCory wrote:
Deeps wrote:

At home, likewise 100L.
Not wanting to go off topic, but if you grow veg or whatnot, dirty aquarium water is top notch when it comes to watering/fertilizing plants.
Whatever you do, don't flush or ditch the dirty water down a drain. Hopefully you'll be cleaning the filters out in the water you remove from the tanks when doing a water change? That water is like steroids for a lot of plants. Probably the Nitrates and fish waste combination. My greenhouse almost explodes with life overnight. Tomatoes and peppers especially. Apologies if I'm teaching ya to suck eggs.
its called aquaponics if you set it up correctly.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Hi Hamradioop.
I've often thought of the idea of trying to set up some sort of aquaponics system, if I had one 2200L aquarium I'd definitely be doing it in a flash, but I've nine aquariums permanently on the go, I wouldn't know how to adequately 'link' these together. If you have any ideas I'm all ears. My only concern is that the tanks provide me with additional income, so I have to maintain pristine filtering and water quality at all times, the setting up stage of an aquaponic system would be a worry for me if water quality was to dip.
The tanks are in a converted workshop literally feet from my greenhouse and veg patch at the moment. I'm usually partially changing water in at least two tanks a day. At the moment I have a pump in permanent situ with one length of hose as intake which I move to tank, to tank, as required. The output from the pump, I've connected a two way valve, position 'A' as such is connected to a permanent sprinkler type system in the greenhouse. Position 'B' is connected to a hose I use to water veg patch and grass (and the neighbours) as necessary, or to go straight down the drain. It's not a perfect setup, but it's doing its job. Weekly I'm cleaning 2 or 3 filters, I've found it's this water that really is the go-go juice the plants love. That's why I pointed out to deeps the merits of using the manky water post filter clean to use as fertilizer. He most likely knows, but you never know who might comes across this and not have a scoobie.
This really has gone off on a tangent! Apologies, if deemed the right thing to do, please whoever does so, delete this rambling..
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:
Deeps wrote:

At home, likewise 100L.
Its really Her Maj's 'part of ship' but she does put it down the drain, I'll make she gets a bit of dog watch instruction mate, cheers for the tip. :lol: We've got an outdoor pond as well and whenever I clear 'gunk' out of there it goes on the plants. Unfortunately its not practical to haul to the allotment and we don't have many scran plants in the garden, more 'pretty' ones.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/ looks to be a good resource but it is an American site.

you tube Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rW_UNhmfQ
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.