3 sources of water.

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Re: 3 sources of water.

Post by Grumpy'sBetterHalf »

Deeps wrote:
Not wanting to go off topic, but if you grow veg or whatnot, dirty aquarium water is top notch when it comes to watering/fertilizing plants.
We've got an outdoor pond as well and whenever I clear 'gunk' out of there it goes on the plants. Unfortunately its not practical to haul to the allotment and we don't have many scran plants in the garden, more 'pretty' ones.
Deeps, when you say 'gunk' does that include algae? We have several IBCs with algae growing in them. Would the water be safe to use to water the plants?

(For drinking we have purification tablets and water stored in various containers, and were planning to boil water too, but I'm now off to research Sawyer filters. Thanks Jansman :) )
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

The water will be fine for watering the plants.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Deeps wrote: Its really Her Maj's 'part of ship' but she does put it down the drain, I'll make she gets a bit of dog watch instruction mate, cheers for the tip. :lol: We've got an outdoor pond as well and whenever I clear 'gunk' out of there it goes on the plants. Unfortunately its not practical to haul to the allotment and we don't have many scran plants in the garden, more 'pretty' ones.
Have a read of The Edible Garden for a look at how to grow pretty food.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

featherstick wrote:
Deeps wrote: Its really Her Maj's 'part of ship' but she does put it down the drain, I'll make she gets a bit of dog watch instruction mate, cheers for the tip. :lol: We've got an outdoor pond as well and whenever I clear 'gunk' out of there it goes on the plants. Unfortunately its not practical to haul to the allotment and we don't have many scran plants in the garden, more 'pretty' ones.
Have a read of The Edible Garden for a look at how to grow pretty food.
We used to grow more in the garden but a combination of having the allotment (that's not in a a practical place to be honest) and getting dogs that have torn up the back yard have meant that we've stuck to the allotment. Her Maj has had a fantastic crop of chillies, which suits me, I'm a slave to them. She's grown them from seed and we've had a bumper crop in the house and latterly one of those plastic temporary greenhouses too. She's grown tomatoes at the back of the house for years, not a great crop this year but better than hee haw.

The gardening stuff is very much Her Maj's bag, I do the heavy stuff for her and enjoy the fruits of her labour (literally), its been quite a good tool to get her along the prepping way, she's still not on the same page but I think she knows that this is the way I/we roll now, I'll point her towards the Edible Garden though, thanks Featherstick.
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

featherstick wrote:The water will be fine for watering the plants.
Thanks featherstick. I'll use it for the fruit trees and bushes, but won't risk it on salad crops.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Grumpy'sBetterHalf wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Not wanting to go off topic, but if you grow veg or whatnot, dirty aquarium water is top notch when it comes to watering/fertilizing plants.
We've got an outdoor pond as well and whenever I clear 'gunk' out of there it goes on the plants. Unfortunately its not practical to haul to the allotment and we don't have many scran plants in the garden, more 'pretty' ones.
Deeps, when you say 'gunk' does that include algae? We have several IBCs with algae growing in them. Would the water be safe to use to water the plants?

(For drinking we have purification tablets and water stored in various containers, and were planning to boil water too, but I'm now off to research Sawyer filters. Thanks Jansman :) )
Sorry, I've just seen your post, not sure how I missed it. The plants have been thriving on the pond 'crud', I don't think algae will be a problem.
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Thanks Deeps :)
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

unsure wrote:i was thinking more like this one /

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Blade-M ... 1650863540

can pull double duty for just about anything you need to move around .
There's also this sort of thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=h ... &_from=R40

which has been mentioned before on here, just need a jug/funnel to fill ..................
Knowledge is power
GoAskAlice

Post by GoAskAlice »

I'm in an awkward situation in that I am living with family who would not encourage prepping (though they have excellent medical, first aid and building skills and have recently started to budget much better) so am having to do things slowly on a limited budget, ordering through the internet.

As this is an issue I currently only have some Lifestraws stashed under the bed, though I do know of at least several other water sources in the area (including a local agricultural producer I am friendly with) and am in a semi rural area which I know well. This being the case any advice? Purification tablets and Milton fluid look like good prospects, but any advice on larger gravity filtration systems (Berkfield look promising). My budget is around £100 as I have a limited amount so spend each month and am currently sticking to the (2 is one and one is none and the "threes rule". Heating is covered, tools, lighting, medicine and food is being worked on (I'm picking up bits as I go, like candles and LED lights), but I am stuck on the water. Any system needs to be able to be hidden away in a large dark built in cupboard, which is nice and cool, after testing. Any advice?