3 sources of water.

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Arzosah

Re: 3 sources of water.

Post by Arzosah »

unsure wrote:
Arzosah wrote:Good post! I have stored water ... about 30 litres (just for me). I have a mini Katadyn filter. I have purification tabs. I have sand, charcoal and cloth to set up 2 expedient filters from empty supermarket water bottles. And there's a stream very close to me that I need to think/learn how to get the water up from it - there's a drop of eight feet from the pedestrian bridge over it.
a drop of 8 feet you say . a bucket an a lenth of rope and your sorted , hard work but do-able .
Oh, good point! This is what happens when your thinking gets trapped in a circle - I kept thinking about siphoning via a tube. I only have plastic buckets at the mo, but I *do* have a galvanised iron mop bucket. Proper bucket is going on the shopping list, ta muchly. Definitely have the rope already, at least :oops:
jansman

Post by jansman »

May I humbly suggest that a plastic builders bucket would be more useful. They are robust and light. A full bucket of water is heavy, and the galvanised one is heavy when empty.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Suggest away, by all means :)

I suppose I was thinking of how heavy the *water* is, and that the handle of a plastic bucket would be very prone to breakage ... I guess wrapping a couple of t shirts round the handle would lower the stress on the component parts ...
unsure

Post by unsure »

a smallish bucket to lessen the stress on you , then tip in to a bigger container , may be on a wheel barrow or truck of some sort . saves you having to carry it .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Taking the last two suggestions together.
Jansman's builder's bucket (plastic with metal bale and mounts).... Available in a range of sizes and colours.
Cheap for their durability, a few of these should be in everyone's inventory

Unsure's wheeled water transport.... Well, one option available. These are available from camping and caravanning outlets, not stupid money and designed for the job

Remember that not all water needs to be processed to drinking quality, its just done that way for mains supply to make it easier on logistics
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

[quote="Deeps]

a wee trick I learned from this site, put the frozen bottles in the fridge to keep it cold while there's a loss of lecky. We've not had one since I've prepped for it (damn you lecky board, I wanted to test it !!!!).[/quote]

I've tested it for you, it really does work. I once managed to switch off one of our freezers, the 3 litres of water in 500ml bottles kept it frozen for 2 days until I noticed.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i was thinking more like this one /

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Blade-M ... 1650863540

can pull double duty for just about anything you need to move around .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

featherstick wrote:[quote="Deeps]

a wee trick I learned from this site, put the frozen bottles in the fridge to keep it cold while there's a loss of lecky. We've not had one since I've prepped for it (damn you lecky board, I wanted to test it !!!!).
I've tested it for you, it really does work. I once managed to switch off one of our freezers, the 3 litres of water in 500ml bottles kept it frozen for 2 days until I noticed.[/quote][/quote]

Thanks, the science made complete sense to me so I've no doubts, always good to get a second opinion though. My plan was to take 2 bottles out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to hopefully keep that cool too. Our chest freezer isn't massive and I'm hoping 4 2L bottles will be enough for 24 hrs for both, if we're cut off for longer than that I'll be surprised, unless of course we're up to our knees in zombies. :lol:
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

plenty of streams and rivers nearby + rain water collection and I have a water distiller so i am sorted so long as i still have power. If I lack power I can scout the woods for fallen woods, build a fire, boil the water that I have collected for along time (10 minutes or more rolling boil) then filter it through the carbon left over by the dying fire to remove more impurities.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This is one thing that I have none of and I know that's bad! But I have two wee burns near me, both of which I can reach the source. One bubbles up from under the ground and one is rainwater runoff from the hill. Although we would need to be fit and able to walk up there.. which currently hubby is not, he's flat on the couch in agony with a heel spur. I better get some bottled water in eh :mrgreen: