Rain water butts

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
featherstick

Re: Rain water butts

Post by featherstick »

Big butts. Dear lord.

Anyway...
grenfell wrote:Going just a tad off topic but the subject of muck in the gutters does remind me of a discussion on another forum. Given that the accumulated stuff in the gutter is generally quite fine (chicken bones aside) and free from stones etc and has a high level of rotted leaves a poster talked of using it as a pretty decent potting compost. Ok so the amounts aren't huge but if you clean out a few for other people as well...
Better and easier to sweep up the leaves at the local park into a black bag and leave it somewhere for a year or two - could be combined with walking the dog, and once you get used to the funny looks, it's no bother.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Wouldn't disagree . I haven't a dog so don't get the chance to sweep the leaves in the park but I do get several good bags through work. The idea of using the contents of the gutter for the garden rather than just binning it seems to have occurred to myself and several others independently . Really only going to make much of an impression if one clears gutters for a living as even on the worst there's rarely more than a couple of buckets worth.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Now I don't know if this applies to all Tesco's but we were in the Tesco in Perth today (football related) and they were selling slimline 100L waterbuts (complete with stands etc) for £4.50. That's not a mistake, £4.50 :o :o We got two and will be going to our local Tesco tomorrow to see if they're doing them. One for the allotment and one for the garden shed.....so far.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:Now I don't know if this applies to all Tesco's but we were in the Tesco in Perth today (football related) and they were selling slimline 100L waterbuts (complete with stands etc) for £4.50. That's not a mistake, £4.50 :o :o We got two and will be going to our local Tesco tomorrow to see if they're doing them. One for the allotment and one for the garden shed.....so far.
Ta. Will take a bimble to my local as well. If it was only a Perth thing I've had a good walk.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
Deeps wrote:Now I don't know if this applies to all Tesco's but we were in the Tesco in Perth today (football related) and they were selling slimline 100L waterbuts (complete with stands etc) for £4.50. That's not a mistake, £4.50 :o :o We got two and will be going to our local Tesco tomorrow to see if they're doing them. One for the allotment and one for the garden shed.....so far.
Ta. Will take a bimble to my local as well. If it was only a Perth thing I've had a good walk.
The only good thing to come out of todays trip to Perth. :cry:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:
Brambles wrote:
The only good thing to come out of todays trip to Perth. :cry:
Oh dear, did the Saints whup ya?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
Oh dear, did the Saints whup ya?
Aye, we were pretty poor but them's they joys of provincial football. We didn't even get a burl round the 'Fair City', just a quick there and back with a wee trip across the road to Tesco. :cry:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Good price . At the risk of sounding smug I've just picked up four (250L?) plastic barrels for nothing , well less than nothing really as I was being paid to tidy up. They're currently sat on the patio while I decide where they are going to live.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:
Good price . At the risk of sounding smug I've just picked up four (250L?) plastic barrels for nothing , well less than nothing really as I was being paid to tidy up. They're currently sat on the patio while I decide where they are going to live.
That's brilliant, I'm sure you'll find a use for them.
korolev

Post by korolev »

How long does a 200 litre water butt take to fill up with normal British weather ? I'm thinking of getting one and using it to flush the downstairs loo.