New Bergens on a budget

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
shocker

Re: New Bergens on a budget

Post by shocker »

Link ? Please, if you can mate, this is the kind of thing I wanted to hear
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
shocker

Post by shocker »

Britcit wrote:I bought one of these last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Rucks ... ocharm+50l

I am using it to put together my BOB. Good size, comes with 3 removable pockets\pouches and has molle strips for more if needed.
Thanks for the link, looks nice but reading the reviews, some from ex squaddies (who tend to know what carrying loads is like!) I wasnt impressed by the strapping or back support. For someone less battle-damaged than me, probably great ! For poor old cripple Shocks, maybe not. :cry:
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Google "LK35" for my recommendation. And the best review is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVEsNSJQC8. Bear in mind this is bushcrafting, so of limited duration and coming home, not INCH.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks mate, all food for thought. Anymore for any more ?
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The lk35 is nice, I have a canvas one that some people call the lk50, but in reality it's just a canvas lk35, was made by haglofs and really nicely made too, they're a big 35 litre though and you can overstuff them, nice comfy pack but a couple of drawbacks for your specified requirements, the shoulder straps are very thin, which is a problem as there's no waist belt, I've made one out of some surplus bits and some webbing, and now it's one of the comfiest old school packs that I own, and it's tough as old boots, all metal hardware and nice adjustment on the shoulder straps.
No organisation to speak of, it's one big bag, I've added side pouches to mine, you can pick up the Swedish webbing pouches pretty cheap but these packs are the in thing at the moment so they're getting thin on the ground, (as everyone else is adding side pouches to them as well) I might be able to find you a link if you want a set but you'll have to move quick, I would advise using a stitching awl to sew them on, you could do it with a needle but it would hurt.
Even with the side pouches though you're going to need to organise your gear in pouches and dry bags inside it or it'll drive you mental.
Does have load straps on the outside for bulky stuff and you can also strap gear directly to the frame, or use the frame without the bag if you want to carry a dead elk.

The US army ALICE straps and kidney belt fit on easily, but they're pricey, even an aftermarket set of dubious quality will cost more than the pack.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks buddy, I hadnt really thought of frame bergens, my last one was a Vango back in the early 80s which was great but as you say, one big space where everything gets mixed up. It was lost in a move decades ago. I have seen a swedish frame pack for peanuts at Military Mart and I may give it a closer look now.

As you noted, the straps and waist belt are a big factor for me with my leg and spine injuries. Those factors have put me off quite a few new packs on closer inspection since this thread started. Im really grateful for all you guys taking such an interest and taking into account my "special needs"...god, how I hate that phrase. I dont have any special needs...Im a cripple. I can live with that, how come all the politically correct cant ? People used to respect cripples.

Only kidding, people never respected cripples ! :D :D ;)

On the sowing front I have some kit left over from when me and my dad had a marquee hire thing, a "palm" which helps you force needles through canvas instead of your hand and some other bits. I even have an old hand cranked Singer Industrial somewhere at the farm but its a big bugger and a bitch to set up unless doing long runs. Like most machines really. My mrs is going nuts at all the extra kit appearing in our tiny flat. The sheds already like a rubic cube (you have to move 8 things to advance 1) already and my vague promises of more shelving are wearing thin so I dont think she would appreciate a big old sewing machine here. If it was a CB or a computer she would be different !
shocker

Post by shocker »

is this the kiddie we are talking about ?

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/swedish-a ... ksack.html
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

That's the one, nice packs but you'll want to modify it a bit to be comfortable, I have a bad back too, not as bad as yours by the sound of it but I still cracked it in three places (I also have more metal in my feet than there is in a cheap rucksack) so I probably have more of an idea where you're coming from than most.
One of the good things about the LK35 is that it rides supported by two thick webbing straps across your back, so not only do you get good airflow but you can also move them to a bit of your back that's less knackered, with the external frame it keeps what's in the pack from touching your back as well.

For sewing on the side pouches, I have a machine that would go through it, but there's no way of getting it into position to do so without unpicking and restitching the whole pack and I didn't want to do that, I sew reasonably well but nowhere near as well as the people in the factory so I did it by hand, and even that required putting my head inside the pack to see what I was doing, with a needle you could probably do it by touch but with a sewing awl you get the same lock stitch that you'd get from a sewing machine so it's good and strong but you need to be able to see in to get the tail tucked through the correct loop, would be fine with a needle and thread though if you have kit to get it through the material without mullering your hand.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks mate, appreciated. I have a sewing awl with the other heavy canvas stuff. I see that the same place has the PLCE hip pads so that may be a start for a hip strap. I have to be realistic about what I can manage though...I have lots of enthusiasm but some days I dont get vertical . Too many half finished projects already ! :oops:

As far as injuries go, there is no better or worse, its as bad as it is for you, that and how much it affects your life and expectations. Im lucky to be alive and to have been scooped up by a good, understanding women when I was at the very end of a long downhill slide. Every day is one more I dont expect and , most like, dont deserve. Pain, well you know about pain, and the same applies. Its just like hot or cold or another sensation until it over-rides your nervous system and you go into spasm. As you know all too well. My legs are shot too, literally as it happens, inoperable and the docs wanted them off. Crippled I may be but they would need a tranquiliser gun from a distance to get away with that one ! ;) But mate, I feel for you. Stay strong and keep cracking on :D
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I watched a youtube vid the other day in which Dave Canterbury was demonstrating the versatility of a frame strapping buckets on it and the like, so for the money I'd say one of those LK35 things would be a good investment for anyone with a place to go and do bushcraft type activities, ( I'm not saying bugging out simply because it appeals, it always has, to escape to the woods for a day or two, cook on an open fire :) ) those of us who have the urge to do it like the other related activities all too often are using potential calamity as an excuse not only to practice, but to escape in the here and now briefly.
I'm beginning to wonder whether backpacks should be included in rule number one :oops:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.