My GHB

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
sniper 55

Re: My GHB

Post by sniper 55 »

I have doubts thats really 10.000 ma.
jansman

Post by jansman »

sniper 55 wrote:I have doubts thats really 10.000 ma.
??????
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Most of the ones I've seen tested end up having a 2800 ma battery inside, often poor quality and usually with no built in protection, not seen that actual one opened though.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

sethorly wrote:
jansman wrote:Power bank for my I phone.missed that too! Any suggestions?
No pal. I've got one, but it's too heavy for my GHB - let's look for a good small one!
This one https://www.springfields.co.uk/categori ... ebank.html maybe? It seems to be small enough for the job.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If you're just after a small power bank then I got one from b&m in October or something for a fiver.
It came with an led lantern thing (it looks like a little white plastic jelly mould) that I was initially skeptical of but has actually been pretty handy, so handy in fact that I ordered a little USB spotlight from fleabay to keep it company so I can use the power bank as a worklight and back up torch, 2300 mah which gives me one full charge and one half charge on my iPhone 5s.
It's cheap and cheerful but has done the job.

Do watch it with lights plugged into power banks though, an LED can over discharge the cells in them and if that happens then there's a risk they'll combust later on depending on what circuitry is in it, just don't plug in a light if you reckon it's getting low on power.

If you have a bit more to spend then I would second the recommendation for an Anker, I've had a 5000 and something mah one for over a year and I'm very happy with it, can even supply 2 amps to fast charge my iPad.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:If you're just after a small power bank then I got one from b&m in October or something for a fiver.
It came with an led lantern thing (it looks like a little white plastic jelly mould) that I was initially skeptical of but has actually been pretty handy, so handy in fact that I ordered a little USB spotlight from fleabay to keep it company so I can use the power bank as a worklight and back up torch, 2300 mah which gives me one full charge and one half charge on my iPhone 5s.
It's cheap and cheerful but has done the job.

Do watch it with lights plugged into power banks though, an LED can over discharge the cells in them and if that happens then there's a risk they'll combust later on depending on what circuitry is in it, just don't plug in a light if you reckon it's getting low on power.

If you have a bit more to spend then I would second the recommendation for an Anker, I've had a 5000 and something mah one for over a year and I'm very happy with it, can even supply 2 watts to fast charge my iPad.
The power banks seem to be getting better and better, I'm sceptical about some of the claims of the MaH's and test them when I get them on the 'how many charges' scale. I've just bought a wee light strip to try so thanks for the heads up that they can feck up the banks.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Most quality power banks have circuitry in them to stop them over discharging so if it's a decent one then it'll probably be fine, I wouldn't risk it with a cheapie, a good one should be ok but unless you take it to bits and know what you're looking at then you can't be totally sure, (I don't really know what I'm looking at so I watch Big Clive take them to bits on YouTube!) even a good one though will be damaged if it's shorted as that can bypass the protection on them so it's worth keeping them in a case or a separate pocket.
It was likely down to them being shorted in people's pockets and over discharged that caused all the problems with those ones from the phone company where you could swap an empty one for a full one in their stores, think it was EE that was giving them out.

There's actually some fairly complicated science behind the capacity, how many charges it gives will be an indication but it will likely appear to be less than it is, there's a pretty good explanation in this article if you're interested.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Heres-wh ... be_id67153
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Cheers mate, always open to enlightenment. I've got a small Anker and some others courtesy of a well known auction site of unknown pedigree but (touch wood) have been decent enough for my need. Always on the hunt for more though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My daughter got me an Anker.I can get 7 recharges from it.It is not small,but it did a sterling job last week of keeping my phone going in Spain.The fishing camp had limited power supply and this charger proved its worth. Definitely worth the weight in my ghb.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Currently 'winterising' my GHB, upping the cold weather gear. I keep seeming to be adding to it, the weight isn't an issue so much but I need to leave some space for 'cargo' as I use it when I'm doing my weekly trip to my mum. I daresay it will require a few attempts to get it right, hey ho.