New EDC Rucksack

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
whenfires

New EDC Rucksack

Post by whenfires »

I have bought myself a 5.11 Covrt18 rucksack for every day use (when not at work). I briefly toyed with the idea of a messenger bag but they're just not as practical as a rucksack. I am in the process of stocking it with EDC items but keeping it to a minimum so there is still plenty of usable room in it. So far I've added:

Water bottle (Contigo Addison 750ml)
UK Legal knife (Pocket Buddy)
Torch (Olight S1 Baton)
Gerber Dime Multitool
Swisscard lite
Emergency ponchos * 2
Survival blanket
Notepad
Pen/Pencil/Sharpie
Energy Bars * 2
Lip Balm
Hand sanitiser
Mini EDC prybar
Carrier Bags *2

Just need to add:

Small first aid kit (not much because I keep one in the car)
Small sewing kit
Lighter
Tissues
Paracord

All that barely fills the admin pouch and the net pouches in the main compartment. I might swap out the Gerber Dime/Swisscard for a larger multitool like the Leatherman Juice (CS4 or XE6) but obviously it needs to be a legal carry.

My wife, who has no knowledge or interest in prepping thinks it's a great idea as she hates paying for carrier bags and unlike most women her handbag is so small it doesn't even have room for her her to keep one to use. I'll get the £100 cost back in 5p's in no time :roll: :lol:
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
tanstaafl

Re: New EDC Rucksack

Post by tanstaafl »

Nice , I have a 5.11 Rush, brilliant rucks.......

You might be right to swap out the Swisscard because as silly as it seems its technically got a fixed blade knife in it , :o
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

tanstaafl wrote: You might be right to swap out the Swisscard because as silly as it seems its technically got a fixed blade knife in it , :o
I hadn't thought of that, what with it being no more than a slither of metal :D . You would hope for some common sense if it came to it but I think it and the Dime will be replaced when I can find a decent legal carry multitool like a Juice.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I have a couple of small dry bags which I think I am going to use to put some clothes and toiletries in for my wife and I and keep in the back of the wardrobe. In the event of a local emergency, I can then quickly grab them, put them in the EDC rucksack and it becomes a grab-bag for a couple of days while things get sorted out.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

As for EDC multitools, the Gerber dime and Leatherman squirt are ok but the pliers are a little weak, have a look at the IDL tools T5, it doesn't have the bells and whistles, it's just basically a small folding set of pliers with a flat head and Phillips head on the handle, but the pliers are MUCH stronger than the other small ones I've seen, so if you can do without some of the extra bits and bobs, (I carry a Swiss Army knife in my pocket 90% of the time, so I have most of the extra bits) then it's a good one to look at.
Here's the Amazon link.
IDL Tools T5 Industrial MultiTool https ... 2wbYJ83V2W
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
munchh

Post by munchh »

tanstaafl wrote:Nice , I have a 5.11 Rush, brilliant rucks.......

You might be right to swap out the Swisscard because as silly as it seems its technically got a fixed blade knife in it , :o
Even worse its a concealed fixed blade, i have 2 in my wallet :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Post by munchh »

On the backpac itself, are they as well built as the price makes you hope, i have one made buy a different company that are bought buy US military, but i was lucky at a bootsale and got it for £4, they are £200+ and although its really nice, i wouldnt pay that for one? :?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

It is very well built with strong material and quite heavy zips. I wouldn't necessarily say it is completely worth the £100+ asking price as to some extent you are still paying for the 'tactical' elements including a very discreet compartment designed for a handgun. It can obviously be used for other things, such as my wallet and keys in my case as the side zips into the compartment or not instantly apparent, so they are tucked away from light fingers in a crowd. The roll down Molle compartment doesn't have an immediate use but I can see situations where it would still come in handy.

I'm very happy with it despite the relatively high price. It feels like it will last for years, is very comfortable to carry and the design is well thought out.