EDC/GHB how much is too much?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
sniper 55

Re: EDC/GHB how much is too much?

Post by sniper 55 »

Many thanks for all the replies, I think I'll have to post some pics to give people a better idea.
Thanks all.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Here we go some pics.
First the "tools" I've used the poncho as a background.
tn_DSCF0412.JPG
Now the first aid portion, the pouch has been filled with extra dressings, gloves etc.
tn_DSCF0414.JPG
and the torch section, I know I'm a little heavy on torches but I used to do a lot of caving tunnel work so I'm a bit over cautious. The silver around the end of one of the torches is a home made red filter.
tn_DSCF0412.JPG
I haven't bothered with all the little bits and pieces like spare batteries, tape, bivi bag and so on. those things are pretty much ok I think.
Attachments
tn_DSCF0410.JPG
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've screwed up the pics somehow, the top one is obviously wrong but I cant get it to delete, it should be the tools pics. Sorry people.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

If you're within 10 miles of home you probably need little more than a couple of Snickers bars, a bottle of water, and some blister dressings.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

featherstick wrote:If you're within 10 miles of home you probably need little more than a couple of Snickers bars, a bottle of water, and some blister dressings.

Depends on what you do and what time of year it is. ...

A outdoor labourer could happily walk off site in what they are stood up in and have a merry wander 10 miles home across fields in the heavy sleet with a good wind ...

Next door to the building site A office worker who walks the same 2 mins from the station in a suit and smart shoes is likely to have a miserable time over the same journey home .. .
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
featherstick wrote:If you're within 10 miles of home you probably need little more than a couple of Snickers bars, a bottle of water, and some blister dressings.

Depends on what you do and what time of year it is. ...

A outdoor labourer could happily walk off site in what they are stood up in and have a merry wander 10 miles home across fields in the heavy sleet with a good wind ...

Next door to the building site A office worker who walks the same 2 mins from the station in a suit and smart shoes is likely to have a miserable time over the same journey home .. .

+1

I work in an office with shirt, tie and smart slip-on shoes. I wouldn't fancy a walk of any real distance in just that so I have a set of 'proper' clothes in my GHB in the car. It includes waterproofs and a cheap pair of Gelert walking boots which might not last a year of hiking but would get me home when I needed them.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
metatron

Post by metatron »

I'd probably phase out some of the lower quality gear for proven reliable equipment over time, so you only need one of each but you don't get to much of a shock.

People don't buy Surefire, Letherman, Fallkniven because there gear snobs (although I'm sure a small amount do), they buy them as their proven for reliability and longevity. Bigist thing I've learned over the years is quality does cost a little extra, as you normally find that its not made in a sweatshop with poorly motivated staff.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

metatron wrote:
People don't buy Surefire, Letherman, Fallkniven because there gear snobs (although I'm sure a small amount do), they buy them as their proven for reliability and longevity. Bigist thing I've learned over the years is quality does cost a little extra, as you normally find that its not made in a sweatshop with poorly motivated staff.

I like leatherman their warrenty isn't to be sniffed at :mrgreen: broke a screwdriver on mine they replaced it FOC :0
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Just going back to tourniquet...

The only time to use them really is catastrophic amputation (so you don't need to worry whether the limb will survive or not) or catastrophic bleeding so you don't care whether the limb will survive or not because your concern is whether the patient will survive or not).

Since the forces reintroduced them in Afghan/Iraq the ambulance service, fire brigade and police force now equip most if not a trauma packs with them.

But they are for major trauma, not first aid.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

metatron wrote:I'd probably phase out some of the lower quality gear for proven reliable equipment over time, so you only need one of each but you don't get to much of a shock.

I've used the Cree and Gerber stuff for years with no problems, the knife is a Stanley but it's built like a tank and I've used it for over 20 years, including leavering things and cutting wood.