EDC/GHB how much is too much?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
sniper 55

EDC/GHB how much is too much?

Post by sniper 55 »

I finally managed to get my EDC/GHB bag finished over the new year, and looking at it seriously I think it's over the top. So that begs the question how much is too much?

Theres 2 multi-tools and a knife. The first aid has 2 first field dressing, a tourniquet, and about a dozen smaller dressings/bandages and airways, it's turning into a trauma pack for heavens sake. Theres 4 torches plus a head torch (the reasoning there is they are for different uses, a high power for searching, a low power for long battery etc) but it's not my bug out bag, it's just a get home bag/edc, and to be honest most of the time I'm within a 25 miles of home anyway (usually within 10) I suspect I've gone well over the top.

And thats not counting 2 ponchos and all the other bits and pieces in the bag.

Seriously how much is too much?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: EDC/GHB how much is too much?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

:lol:

Know this feeling

My ghb was been tinkered with last night...

Similar distance to you.....

Pack lite breathable watetproof regatta trousers and jacket.. Down jacket (nice and warm)

Colapseable water bottle sawyer mini and puri tabs

Sol emergency bivvy

Swiss army knife.

Mini led lenser and couple of spare batteries

Small FAK

Couple of bic lighters and 2 glow sticks

Just need a wooly hat and gloves and something to snack on
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
notadog

Post by notadog »

I thought about putting a tourniquet in my BoB, but as I've not been trained in its use and you can often do more harm than good with one, I decided not to include it. I will be getting some Israeli bandages, which is a sort of cross between a tourniquet and a dressing, but is designed to apply pressure, rather than cut off the blood supply. If I'm in the situation where I need tourniquet and the S has HTF, then whoever is that severely injured is probably beyond saving anyway. So, my FAK has stuff in I know I can use properly and has given me more room for dressings, wipes and plasters.
On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.
prepperG

Post by prepperG »

Hi it sounds as if you have a lot of duplication. a simple test is how much does it weigh and can you run with it?
Have you camped out overnight, how easy is it to use on the move? can you store it in a car boot every day or is it to large?
my bob is just 20lb
as far as med kit goes tablets are more important than items you can improvise.
hope it helps
metatron

Post by metatron »

Depends what you feel you need, for example I live in Brighton, I'm at work the next four days in Belfast, so a GHB would be different for me.

I think of a GHB/EDC as a personal thing, so small first aid kit, food for one, water for one and if you live within a days walk of home you can live without a sleeping bag/bivvi.

Most only really need one good knife, one good Multi-tool, one good torch and yes one good headlamp, I tend to think of these items as where you spend good money and never go cheap. You also use them, so you know their reliable.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

prepperG wrote:Hi it sounds as if you have a lot of duplication. a simple test is how much does it weigh and can you run with it?

I couldn't run without it :lol: in the spirit of the thread though I agree you need to be able to carry it for as long and as far as you are likely to need to go, I'd start with what you consider the bare minimum then add things over time, using it on a daily basis if possible did it with my man bag which must be around 4.5 Kilos now and that is around my waist, I take an almost empty rucksack to do shopping (not the same one all the time it depends how much I'm doing) the man bag is due a little cull though methinks.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

It comes down to various factors and actually there is no such thing as having "too much". It really depends on person to person.

I would suggest roughing it for one night in the wild and see how much of the stuff you actually use and what works/ what is useless baggage etc. You need to be comfortable carrying it for long periods of time and also running with it on your back is a must. (SHTF scenario at worst)

If you're finding that you feel you have too much in your bag - empty it all, assess it and put non essentials in your other kits or long term storage.

I regulary test wear my various EDK/ BoB's once a month on my back to see how it feels, and if there has been any variation in my strength and any pains I might have developed in that 4 week period.

And it would be pretty good to make a list of everything you have. That way you can lay everything down and make sure you have the right things and right amount of things.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Sniper: How long would it take you to cover 25 miles on foot?

I'm afraid you're going to have to post the whole contents so we can advise where to pare
That said, dump anything you're not trained to use
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

my edc if im not near the car/home.....

duracell D cell to give an idea of size

tog jackets stuffs in bottom of main bag section (700 fill if that means owt to anyone i know its very warm)

waterproof/ windproofs (larger top to go over down jacket)

isralii dressing in top "goggles pocket"

Mini free FAK from hot uk deals the other year which has been repacked

organiser pocket

SAK, Lighters, glow sticks (mini) torch and head torch (with lithium cell and pull tab still in place http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Kids- ... B00325GPFE)

SOL bivvie bag Sawyer mini and bladder pouch

Just need a hat and gloves adding a bag of trail mix or some cereal bars and i think ive got a good basic lightweight bag...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

prepperG wrote:Hi it sounds as if you have a lot of duplication. a simple test is how much does it weigh and can you run with it?
Have you camped out overnight, how easy is it to use on the move? can you store it in a car boot every day or is it to large?
my bob is just 20lb
as far as med kit goes tablets are more important than items you can improvise.
hope it helps
Thanks for the reply.
There is duplication, no question, but my reasoning was a back-up of main items, and some varation, like large and small multitools.
The weight isn't a problem, I haven't checked but I'd guess it's around 10 pounds, size again isn't an issue, running is more of an issue but thats due to my current health problems rather than the bag, I used to run with a huge bergen back in my younger days (showing my age now) I haven't camped out with it yet, I only finished sorting it over the new year (chrisy present) but I don't see any big problems other than no sleeping bag (there is a lightweight bivibag in there) My med kit always has basic tablets, strong painkillers, imodium, the usual stuff.
Thanks agin for the reply.