5.11 Kit

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
martynbez

5.11 Kit

Post by martynbez »

Hi,

Has anyone anyone used any kit/bags?

Just wanted some feedback as I have seen some with good layout etc.
jansman

Re: 5.11 Kit

Post by jansman »

If you could be a little more specific , I am sure one of our knowledgable members will help you out.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
martynbez

Post by martynbez »

I was looking at one of the rush bags?

Was not sure on how much differant the sizes in are in real life.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

I've used quite a lot of their clothing range and never had any major dramas, good enough quality to want to wear, cheap enough to not get upset if it tears and needs replacing. You can get similar clothing for less from Craghoppers unless you need the load bearing/concealed carry element to it (IMHO).

The range of daysacks/holdalls/gun cases and luggage has always worked for me and others. I've not personally used the knives or torches, but people I know have without complaint.

All in all they're a pretty good, middle of the road company. Discreet enough to use as civvies, tough enough to use in the field.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

Tried boots, trousers, shorts, shirts and multiple bags. Great shorts and shirts. Bags very good but never perfect but I have not found perfection yet :) . One bugbear is the lack of supportive belts on their smaller bags.
martynbez

Post by martynbez »

All sounds really positive:)

I think I will go for the RUSH 24 as the 72 might be a little too big for me.

Now to find the best price.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I use lots of 5.11 kit- all very good.

Have a look on ebay as often bargains.

If you looking for a rucksack also look for bugout gear - I have one of their rucksacks and it is excellent.
PaganPrepper

Post by PaganPrepper »

martynbez wrote:Hi,

Has anyone anyone used any kit/bags?

Just wanted some feedback as I have seen some with good layout etc.
I only use 5.11 kit. Well worth the money.

Nice civvie looking durably clothes (who wants to wear cammo in any major situation!).

I'm pondering a couple of mod's for my rush 24 pack but that's just for my convenience (planning to add a way to have a couple of solar panels on the straps and inbuilt power with easy access usb ports for charging on the go). It's a good size and all the molle straps fit perfectly with 5.11 gear (other suppliers sometimes have skinny or fat molle straps!)

I don't use the camelback pounch as I find sucking on the dam straw too much of a pain whilst tabbing and not enough fluid so stick to the good old canteens :D

I've a couple of drop pouches, one has my rope in, the other I have spare canteen, added via molle, FAK and some others for tools. I use an IPK (individual protection kit) so at the moment this is strapped onto the bottom but I'm pondering making a molle pouch for this instead. Point being, molle straps fit will and the balance is quite good when fully loaded.

cons, I don't like zips but that's how everything seems to be these days! they're big and durable and I've only had an issue with catching the lining of a couple of pockets whilst I've been in a rush. The straps "sit high" and first time out I ended up with some nasty friction burns around my arm pits!

all in all I'd say 8-9 / 10 after many many camping trips. It's durable, easy to expand, and with a bit of extra padding around the straps it's not too bad on long hikes.
Semperus

Post by Semperus »

I have used several pieces of 5.11 kit and always found it to be of good quality, durable and practical. I currently use a 5.11 RUSH DELIVERY X-RAY MESSENGER BAG DOUBLE TAP as my EDC and work bag. It sits well carrys a good amount of gear and is more than fit for purpose. I am also thinking of the 5.11 RUSH 72 BACKPACK in Storm or Sandstone colour. Best of luck with your decision.
Semper Paratus - Always prepared
---------------------------------
AREA 9 : North Lancs
----------------------------------
martynbez

Post by martynbez »

Well I went for one and it was well worth it. Went on a short break on a budget airline and it's the perfect cabin bag for around 3 days worth of city stay. Love how you can organise the main compartment. Loads of storage on the outer pockets aswell. I went for sandstone and will report back on how well it does as a BOB :)