First use of EDC

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
butterbean

First use of EDC

Post by butterbean »

So like many others, I wear a paracord bracelet, I told myself it's more for practicality rather than the look, although I must admit I love the look. Its my first 1 and I've had it maybe 6 months. Whilst camping and hiking last weekend I snagged my bag against some branches and the main strap ripped, it took another 10 minutes of walking with 1 strap before I realised I had a fix wrapped around my wrist. It took me 5 minutes to unravel the thing, it wasn't even half as long as I was told it was when I bought it, and it was rather damaged and freyed. It just did the job although the strap was then too small for comfort, got me back to camp tho so I guess it worked.

The thing I wanted to ask, eventually, is has anybody actually used something they carry as a just in case, and been massively disappointed by it, and then made it better for next time. I've decided to make my own now instead of getting another 1 from ebay
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Decaff

Re: First use of EDC

Post by Decaff »

This is why it's good to use/try out your stuff BEFORE you need it. Good that you managed to get yourself sorted out though and now you will make improvements so that it doesn't happen again. But if this was in a dire situation and it was something more serious that failed the consequences will have a much bigger impact.

I've tried all my stuff that I've bought so that I know what to expect should I need it and have tweaked a few things to make it better for when I need it.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Well done you, butterbean!

Using preps ... I don't practise enough with my preps - tho I made paneer the other day, & ash key pickle last year, but one thing I've actually used, on holiday last year, was a little screwdriver, when my sister's glasses fell apart :)
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I've got a master bag and so bought one of the cheap paracord bracelets for each in my household. Didn't bother with the brand ones - they're 20 times more in price.

I've not practised yet, but I think I'll unravel and use my current one when I go on holiday. Would like to wrap up a couple of t-shirts or a jumper as tight as possible to stick in my bag.

Do you think, after using it, that you really needed to use it for your bag? Or would you have managed fine without it? I suppose it pays to look for excuses to use your kit and get practice. This sounds like as good an excuse as you'd need.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

I think I could of done without using it but I'm glad I did, my bag was heavy and using the 1 strap was awkward, but i think it was worth using it as now I know to get something better, it was only a cheap 1 but rather than buy a better 1 I'll make my own now so I know what I'm going to have. 1 of the main reasons for my camping trips I've been doing lately is to use some of the things I have as a backup or a prep and see what I'm missing and what I don't need. Without noticing it my EDC is getting bigger and bigger and I wanted to check I'm happy using it all and it's worth carrying.

Because I work up to 300 miles from home for weeks at a time I want to get my GHB ready, but without realising it my EDC is making up a lot of my GHB.
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

You sound the same as me mate, since coming on this forum (it's only a week or so :D) I've learned a lot. What I used to call my 'go bag' I now know is called BOB on here, but I was using it as my EDC. Heavy lump it is, so needed to keep it in my car.

Now I've decided to change my system to fit what most on this forum are doing. But my very own version.

I've got my EDC and I've got a small, but growing list of things for it. I've also got my BOB in the car. I might change the BOB bag for a molle style one. My EDC is molle, so the theory is that I can leave the big one in the car and separate the EDC from it. I would probably only attach them in an emergency situation.

There are a lot of things doubled up between the two bags (smaller back up versions of things in the EDC) and so the BOB makes all but my mobile phone, keys and wallet in the EDC expendable. Those three things will be kept together in an easy access pocket and could be put in my pockets anyway.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

I like the idea of have both the EDC and BOB molle, interchangeable, I hadn't thought of that, I'm looking for a new bag without spending too much so to have that is a very good idea.