No Knead Sourdough bread

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
dizzydays

No Knead Sourdough bread

Post by dizzydays »

I do a no knead bread as I can't do the kneading now because of my arthritic hands. I've got a bread machine which I use to make bread for other people, but I haven't managed to produce a sourdough loaf with the machine. So, this is the alternative.
I don't measure anything properly but if anyone is interested I'll make an effort next time to measure.

I have a jar of wild sourdough starter permanently on the shelf in the kitchen. I feed it most days with a couple spoons white bread flour and some tepid water until it is about the consistency of thick paint. My initial starter I bought on ebay for a few pounds sometime last year, so this has been alive /fed since then. I make bread a couple of times a week and then build up the starter again with flour/water.

In the evening, I put a couple of cups of bread flour in a mixing bowl with a tsp of salt. I add about a cup of my sourdough starter and enough tepid water to make a 'shaggy dough' which is a little on the wet side. I cover that with a plate and leave it overnight.

About 12 - 14 hours later, I sprinkle some flour on, and using a dough scraper because it's a very soft mix, I scrape the dough around the bowl a couple of times to incorporate the flour. I carefully scrape it out onto a floured surface, and very gently fold it over about 4 times. Quickly shape it into a loaf shape and plop it into a bread tin.
I leave it about another half hour while I heat the oven to its hottest temp. I make a lid for my loaf tin with some foil, trying to peak it up a bit to give the loaf some space to rise. Then it goes in the oven on the middle shelf for about 40 mins.
After that I whip the foil lid off, turn the temp down to 190 and give it 15 mins to brown. It's a slightly sour, crusty loaf with a chewy texture and holes a bit like ciabatta.

Most of the time is taken waiting - there is no kneading or work involved. It is a very soft dough to handle though, with none of the 'resistance' you get from a kneaded dough. Still it rises very well. It didn't do as well without the foil lid - ideally I think you need a cast iron casserole with lid but I haven't got one.
I've adapted this from other internet recipes for no knead sourdough.
You do need to use an active, bubbly starter if you're not using commercial yeast.

DD