Easy Vegetarian Recipes

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
SooBee

Re: Easy Vegetarian Recipes

Post by SooBee »

I have found that some recipes have become favourites in my family and they are inexpensive and can be played with according to what is available.

Baked Potatoes are good and the fillings can be played about with to taste: Good old cheddar cheese...a great meat replacement. Add onions, herbs, etc. Also good with all the left-over bits in the kitchen and some mayonnaise.

Jazz up your bread: If you make your own, use onion soup instead of the water and grate cheese on top. Other soups work and I find tomato good.

Use potatoes as a base for a casserole: Slice them up with other veg - tomatoes, leeks/onions, mushrooms, peppers (I grow these on a windowsill) and add stock (veg/chicken oxo). Grate cheese over top and put the lid on the casserole dish and cook for about an hour (Gas 3-4) When the spuds are done the meal is ready. I have a friend who adds milk and an egg to this mix and spreads grated cheese through the layers of veg too.

I hope these help for now.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

A favourite of mine is bubble and squeak, cheap and easy to make.

It's traditionally made from left overs but I like it enough to make it from scratch sometimes.

Boil some potatoes and par boil some veg, almost anything will do from cabbage to sprouts to carrots to broccoli to peas to almost anything.

Mix equal quantities by volume of potato and veg and mash or just crush with a fork. if the mixture is a little bit to wet add a tablespoon of plain flour and salt and pepper.

It's easiest to form into small cakes rather that the traditional way of forming into one large cake that covers the the entire frying pan.

Fry the cakes for two mins per side in a hot pan, butter is best but any type of oil will do. Perfect.

Not vegetarian but I like a couple of rashers of bacon with mine and a fried egg on top.

A twist would be to add two teaspoons of garam masala, a clove of garlic and chilli to the mixture before frying and once cooked put a little bit of mint yogurt.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I like this thread. Always looking for new flavours. Anyhow, my two penny worth.
Courgettes. Easy to grow-by the ton. :lol:
Chop a few of 'em up, a kilo, say. Chuck them in a fry pan, in olive oil and a couple of cloves crushed garlic. Put it on a slow sizzle and sweat it down 'til it goes mushy. Put a good pinch of salt in and let it break down to a mush. Help it along with a wooden spoon. Don't let it burn. When it looks about right stir in some cream or craime fresh. Just to loosen it up. It resembles a garlicky pesto. Mix this in with cooked pasta, or spread on nice bread like a bruschetta.
It is rather nice.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.