Homemade sundried tomatoes - yum!

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
itsybitsy

Homemade sundried tomatoes - yum!

Post by itsybitsy »

OK, I'm going to give this a whirl next week, with some store bought tomatoes, to test the recipe!

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours

5 pounds (2.5 kg) Roma (oval) tomatoes (doesn't have to be Roma toms, but make sure that you use tomatoes of around the same size in a batch, to ensure that they all take the same amount of time to dry)
Fine sea salt

Preparation

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. (100 degrees C.; gas mark 1), or the lowest setting possible. Remove the oven racks.

Trim and discard the stem ends of the tomatoes. Halve each tomato lengthwise. Arrange the tomatoes, cut side up, side by side and crosswise on cake racks set on the oven racks. Do not allow the tomatoes to touch one another. Sprinkle lightly with salt.

Place in the oven and bake until the tomatoes are shriveled and feel dry, anywhere from 6 to 12 hours. Check the tomatoes from time to time: They should remain rather flexible, not at all brittle. Once dried, remove the tomatoes from the oven and allow them to thoroughly cool on cake racks. (Smaller tomatoes will dry more quickly than larger ones. Remove each tomato from the oven as it is dried.)

Transfer the tomatoes to ziplock bags. The tomatoes will last indefinitely.
diamond lil

Re: Homemade sundried tomatoes - yum!

Post by diamond lil »

There you go - another survival food that needs no freezer to keep good :mrgreen: Let us know how it goes eh .
Ezra

Re: Homemade sundried tomatoes - yum!

Post by Ezra »

I love tomatoes!I think I will give this recipe a go.Didn't know the tomatoes would last indefinitely,a must have for my preps I think,thankyou.