Cous-cous

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
2ndRateMind

Cous-cous

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Just wanted to draw your attention to this option. It's very economic on fuel, so ideal for conserving supplies.

Basically, to prepare, you allow 1-2 cupfuls per person, depending on how hungry you are and what you are serving alongside. Then, you cover in twice the volume of salted water. Then you bring to the boil. Then you turn the heat off let stand for 5 minutes. That's quite a considerable energy saving compared to rice, potatoes or pasta, all of which need around 10-15 minutes at the boil.

So, comments welcome. Recipes especially!

Cheers, 2RM
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
EddieEnzyme

Re: Cous-cous

Post by EddieEnzyme »

Better way to prepare is to simply put cous cous in a bowl and pour boiling water over it. You can add a bit of curry powder to liven it up a tad.
The-Great-Nothing

Cous-cous

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

I do the same, pour about 2 times as much boiling water of the cous cous and allow it to stand til it is all soaked up.

Some times I use herbs and spices to add interest. Sometimes just add any flavour stock cube. Or half a can of sweet corn or peas.

Cheers!

Matt
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

OK. Thanks for you suggestions, thus far. Being a Saturday night, here is my quick and easy recipe to counter after-beer munchies.

All amounts are per person.

Fry a medium-sized onion in sunflower oil, til it starts to brown. Add a cup of cous-cous, two cups of water, a beef oxo, a table spoon of chilli powder and a teaspoon of salt. Bring all to the boil, stir and serve. It's not 5 star michelin, but that's not what it is designed for. Just making hungry people, less hungry, quickly. And it's all store-cupboard ingredients, which makes it work for preppers.

Cheers, 2RM.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Spawn of the devil that stuff, it's my kryptonite :evil:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
happyhacker

Post by happyhacker »

In terms of survival stocks is Cous-Cous a good bet? It certainly only needs hot water and sounds as if it can be stored like rice. Add raisins or sultanas to sweeten it a bit.
EddieEnzyme

Post by EddieEnzyme »

HI,

Yep, cous cous is brilliant! As you say, it stores like rice (ages in mylar) and can be "cooked" with just some boiling (or even hot) water. As long as it's kept dry it's fine.