No Cook Recipes

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
2ndRateMind

No Cook Recipes

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Just wanted to share this with you. I tried it today and it was good. If you have any no cook recipes of your own you'd like to tell us all about, I'd love to see them.

Find a medium size mixing bowl. Wash one up if you have to. Add 2 table spoons of olive oil. Mince a clove of garlic and chuck that in. Drain a can of chick peas, and chuck them in, too. Use a potato masher to break up about half of them, so you get a nice textured effect. Then add 1 table spoon of basil pesto, and 2 table spoons of mayonnaise, and half a red onion, diced. Mix up with a handful of roughly chopped fresh parsley, if you can get it cheap.

If you want to pad this out, you can make a complete meal of it by adding diced boiled potatoes, or pasta, or rice. But you'd be cooking if you did that.

Anyway, hope you try it, hope you like it.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
Arzosah

Re: No Cook Recipes

Post by Arzosah »

Nice one - its always good to be able to throw something together quickly - you could use this everyday, actually, take a tub of it to work and whatnot. Thanks.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Although I am not a raw vegan and I think that raw veganism is actually dangerous when used as a long term diet, for short term usage, have a look at some raw vegan recipes. If you peel a courgette to smithereens, you have a vegetarian "pasta" that you can top with a salad, nut, nut butter and avocado combination.

Grated carrot and grated apple stuffed into a cleaned out bell pepper is another good one.

I saw a good youtube video about how to make a fruit flan with a "pastry" made from nuts, dates and coconut that had been pulverized in a blender and then got topped with more pulverized fruit and then decorated with more fresh fruit.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
twilight_shadow

Acorns

Post by twilight_shadow »

Not really a recipe, as such, but if you were stumped for something to eat at this time of year, you could attack raw acorns in small quantities PROVIDING THE TANNIN IS LEACHED OUT.

Tannin is the main hurdle for eating acorns, especially in their raw state (and eating 'prepared' raw ones in large quantities is probably bad for you in terms of digestibility). If you think of shoe leather, tannin coagulates blood and animal protein, and that is what happens to your guts if unprocessed acorns containing lots of tannin are consumed. But tannin is water soluble so it is not beyond the wit of man to get at the acorn mast for food.
nickdutch

Re: Acorns

Post by nickdutch »

twilight_shadow wrote:Not really a recipe, as such, but if you were stumped for something to eat at this time of year, you could attack raw acorns in small quantities PROVIDING THE TANNIN IS LEACHED OUT.

Tannin is the main hurdle for eating acorns, especially in their raw state (and eating 'prepared' raw ones in large quantities is probably bad for you in terms of digestibility). If you think of shoe leather, tannin coagulates blood and animal protein, and that is what happens to your guts if unprocessed acorns containing lots of tannin are consumed. But tannin is water soluble so it is not beyond the wit of man to get at the acorn mast for food.

Good point, but I hear that acorns have gluten in them, incase any gluten intolerant people are reading this.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

Drain a few can's of beans (any type you like but baked beans! :D ) and chuck into a mixing bowl then add a dressing you like or make your own, mix and you're done! Tastes yummy and you can adjust to your own taste.

My favourite food at the moment is a toast/bread salad... throw your bread/toast into the bottom of the bowl in any position you like, add the salad leaves of any kind you like, top with something such as bit of raw pepper, tomato, cucumbers, some feta or mozzarella cheese even just whatever you have in the fridge or cupboard at the time really. Smother in a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar (I use a glaze), some salt, bita herbs and there you go! Not quite something you'll be able to eat for very long post SHTF but it's an idea for the now really and may give you an idea SHTF for what to do with leftovers as well.

Nick < The first recipe isn't vegan due to the mayonnaise in it, removing it would make it of course. I guess it'd be like any other diet, if you manage it and plan well enough then you'll be fine on it...except if you're a breatharian (they think they can filter feed the air or can photosynthesis all the energy they need, I wish I was making them up too :? ) then you'll just die at some point.
Eclectickle

Post by Eclectickle »

twilight_shadow wrote:Not really a recipe, as such, but if you were stumped for something to eat at this time of year, you could attack raw acorns in small quantities PROVIDING THE TANNIN IS LEACHED OUT.
There are some good instructions for removing the tannins from acorns here:

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blo ... -flour.htm

Provided you are allowed some boiling water, couscous is a great way to make a quick 'no cook' hot meal:

1 cup of couscous
1/2 cup peas or sweetcorn (fresh or frozen)
1 small can of fish (flaked) or ham (cut into very small cubes)
1 teaspoon of vegetable bouillon or a packet of dried soup
1 knob of butter
2 cups of boiling water

Put all the ingredients into a heat proof bowl. Stir. Cover for a couple of minutes. Wait for the water to be absorbed. Enjoy.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Ceviche recipes are a good way to prepare fish.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ct-ceviche

The fish is "cooked" in citrus juice or vinegar, the acids having the same effect as heat does. Now I agree fresh fish may be difficult to get hold of once SHTF but these recipes are folk recipes from resource-poor environments which both cook and preserve fish with very low inputs. Perfect prepper stuff, especially if you are looking for a way of using up that was-frozen cod fillet once the gas and leccy have gone off.

I also like to sprout chickpeas. It's a great way to make them edible and they can be nibbled on as a snack, added to salads, or blended into a hummus very easily. Ordinary dried ones in big bags from the Indian shop work well for this but need a little bit of sorting for grit or the occasional half-chickpea which won't sprout.
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

Eclectickle wrote:
There are some good instructions for removing the tannins from acorns here:

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blo ... -flour.htm
Wow! That's made me sit up and take notice!
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

munchh

Post by munchh »

I love chick peas, but love Hummus more, this is really easy and one tin of chick peas makes loads, it works out much cheaper than the store bought stuff, its also alot nicer unless you are buying that expencive one i like so much from isreal that they sell in ASDA (there are lots of hummus you can buy and from many shops, just my opinion ;) )

I like mine with tortia chips, or pitta bread.

HUMMUS
Ingredients
• 200g/7oz canned chickpeas
• 2 tbsp lemon juice or more
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• Salt
• 100ml/3½fl oz tahini (sesame seed paste) optional
• 4 tbsp water
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp paprika
• 4 rounds of pitta bread
Preparation method
1. Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Reserve a few whole chick peas for serving.
2. Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini, and water in a food processor, and blend to a creamy purée.
3. Add more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt to taste. Turn out into a dinner plate, and make smooth with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and scatter with the reserved chickpeas.

I'm really hungry now. :lol:
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.