Stews

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
redskies

Stews

Post by redskies »

I've been blethering on about the two stews I like to make, so I thought I'd give you the receipes. Both dead simple, one pot meals, which means you can make them when camping too. I love one pot meals!

Beef & Ale Stew

2lbs Lean beef
One large onion
Two or three carrots
Half a neep, swede or turnip
About a dozen fist sized tatties
An oxo cube or homemade stock cube, whatever you like to use
Two bottles of Celtic Black Ale (http://hebridean-brewery.co.uk/)
Salt & Pepper to taste. I don't usually add salt, but do add pepper.

You can fiddle with the amounts to suit the number you're cooking for; the above will feed about six people. And if you can't get the black ale, you can use another dark ale or Guinness.

Put the ale and the meat into your pot. Prep the veg - peel, slice and dice. I slice the carrots, but dice everything else, tatties included. Bring it to a rolling boil, then turn the heat down so it's at a gentle simmer. Put the lid on and leave it alone for at least two hours. You can check it twice to stir it, but don't fiddle with it! Serve in a bowl, with fresh crusty bread to mop up the gravy.

For Pork & Fraoch, you'll switch out the beef for pork, the black ale for fraoch. Same cooking times etc. Get the best quality meat and produce you can afford; it makes a difference to the taste. You can add any other veg you like as well; sometimes, I throw a leek in there, just for a change. And if you want to thicken it without faffing about with flour and things, grate the carrot instead of slicing it.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)
tanstaafl

Re: Stews

Post by tanstaafl »

Looks good, but I would add mushrooms mmmmmmm as they bulk it out, and if you do it in a slow cooker for 8-10 hours any cheap meat will go super tender, just tried Ox cheek for the first time , very good done like this :D
essgee23

Re: Stews

Post by essgee23 »

yuuuuuuum. :D