Recipe For Chilli Chutney

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Magz

Recipe For Chilli Chutney

Post by Magz »

"This is a great chutney. The sweetness created in the cooking of the peppers calms the heat of the chillies down, giving the chutney a lovely warmth.
Makes about 500g
Ingredients
• 8-10 fresh red chillies
• 8 ripe red peppers
• Olive oil
• 2 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
• A sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• A 5cm piece of cinnamon stick
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 100g brown sugar
• 150ml balsamic vinegar
Method: How to make cheeky chilli-pepper chutney
Step 1 If you want your chutney to last for a while, make sure you have some small sterilized jars ready to go. Place your chillies and peppers over a hot barbecue, in a griddle pan or on a tray under a hot grill, turning them now and then until blackened and blistered all over. Carefully lift the hot peppers and chillies into a bowl (the smaller chillies won't take as long as the peppers so remove them first) and cover tightly with cling film. As they cool down, they'll cook gently in their own steam. By the time they're cool enough to handle, you'll be able to peel the skin off easily.

Step 2 When you've got rid of most of the skin, trimmed off the stalks and scooped out the seeds, you'll be left with a pile of nice tasty peppers and chillies. Finely chop by hand or put in a food processor and whiz up. Then put to one side.

Step 3 Heat a saucepan and pour in a splash of olive oil. Add the onions, rosemary, bay leaves and cinnamon and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook very slowly for about 20 minutes or so, until the onions become rich, golden and sticky.

Step 4 Add the chopped peppers and chillies, the sugar and the vinegar to the onions and keep cooking. When the liquid reduces and you're left with a lovely thick sticky chutney, season well to taste. Remove the cinnamon stick and the bay leaves. Either spoon into the sterilized jars and put them in a cool dark place, or keep in the fridge and use right away. In sterilized jars, the chutney should keep for a couple of months.
By Jamie Oliver.
mike.f

Re: Recipe For Chilli Chutney

Post by mike.f »

Looks good magz I’ll have to give it a try. This was the last chutney I made and it was very nice indeed.

Probably one of the most popular varieties of homemade chutney. Apple chutney has a tangy, sweet flavour which is perfect with cheeses such as cheddar, cheshire or white stilton.

Ingredients
• 225g/8oz onions, chopped
• 900g/2lb apples, cored and chopped
• 110g/4oz sultanas, raisins or chopped dates
• 15g/½oz ground coriander
• 15g/½oz paprika
• 15g/½oz mixed spice
• 15g/½oz salt
• 340g/12oz granulated sugar
• 425ml/¾ pints malt vinegar

Preparation method
1. Put all the ingredients into a preserving pan. Slowly bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Simmer for 1½-2 hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
3. When it is very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid, the chutney is ready.
4. Turn into sterilised jars, seal and cool.
5. Store in a cool, dark cupboard for two to three months before eating
Magz

Post by Magz »

You just can't beat a good chutney! love it!
preservefreak

Post by preservefreak »

Oh thanks for this recipe Magz, I will definitely try it when summer comes around :) until then I will find it a home in my battered recipe book :)
Magz

Post by Magz »

preservefreak wrote:Oh thanks for this recipe Magz, I will definitely try it when summer comes around :) until then I will find it a home in my battered recipe book :)
Don't forget to share your recipes :D