Beef Jerky

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Erinlouiser

Beef Jerky

Post by Erinlouiser »

This is how I made beef jerky a couple of weks back and it is delicious!! :D

Cut very lean Beef into thin strips (mine were roughly 0.25 cm thick)
Marinade overnight.

For the marinade I used....

2 teaspoons of garlic powder
200ml Worcestshire Sauce (sorry if thats spelt wrong :lol: )
100ml Soy Sauce

I marinaded in the fridge in ziplock bags.

Then in the morning i skewered the beef strips with kebab sticks and let them hang through the grates on the normal oven shelves/grates.

I put the oven on the lowest setting which is about 50 degrees c (fan assisted) and put a teatowel in the door to hold it open a crack to allow moisture to escape and then left it alone, after about 7 hours I had fantastic beef jerky which I am storing in a jar with a little rice in the bottom to suck up any moisture and it should keep for around a year (although it wont last that long as my OH wont stop eating it, I will be hiding the next batch :lol: )

Obviously it can be kept in air tight packs and it will last alot longer, but you must make sure any fatty bits are taken out and consumed as the fat will go bad.

I will be making some more next week as I have just invested in a food dehyrator and will see how that turns out and I am also going to make some soup by rehydrating the jerky I already made and see how it goes :D
preppingsu

Re: Beef Jerky

Post by preppingsu »

Thanks for sharing. Just goes to show how easy some things are yet we shy away from giving it a go.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

We got an excalaber dehydrator a couple of years back, although meat for dehydration can be pricey I have done a couple of lots rump steak on offer and venison once too, the trouble with jerky is that it is nice :oops: niether I nor my teenage/adult children are going to leave it alone once it's made :lol:

I think it's worth a mention that sealed and frozen like Salami/Pepperoni/chorizio type stuff I hear it will last as long once defrosted and still sealed as it would have done sat on the shelf in a jar, I currently cannot afford any SHTF power options, so I'm making sure that a fair bit of space in the freezer has stuff in it which will remain useful even if the power goes out.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Erinlouiser

Post by Erinlouiser »

So yesterdays dinner was beef soup made entirely for rehydrated veggies and beef jerky with a hand full of pearl barley mix and it was delicious :D