Pigeon Burrito

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
metatron

Pigeon Burrito

Post by metatron »

So I've been shooting a lot more rabbits and pigeon of late as it saves a lot of money on meat and I'm trying to put more savings aways.

For the filling you will need the breasts of 10 pigeons (very easy to shoot)
Red peppers (I grow the sweet kind in my gardon)
Cilli powder
Garlic
Smoked paprika
Cumin
Salt
Coriander
Onion
Blackeyed beans (canned or dried but you will need to soak them over night and boil them for 20 minites)
Bit of mature cheddar

Slice up the pigeon breasts and put in a freezer bag with a little rapeseed oil (or other oil), coat the breasts in oil by moving them around in the bag now add:
Half a teaspoon of cilli powder (add more if you like heat)
A tablespoons of smoked paprika
Clove of crushed garlic
Teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon salt

Move the pigeon around in the bag so the spice mix coats everything.
Slice three peppers and a small onion up
Add the onion to a pan with a little oil and fry until soft
Add the peppers and cook for two minutes (if you want the peppers soft cook longer)
Add the pigeon and everything else in the bag and cook for about 4 minutes.

Remove everything out of the pan with a slotted spoon trying to leave the juices in the pan. Cover up the removed cooked items and put aside.

Add the can of black-eyed beans (or cooked beans if you are going from dried) to the pan and heat through then use a hand blender to turn the beans to a mush (re-fried beans)

The wraps (flour tortilla)(you can buy them if you want) are:
275g flour
Teaspoon of salt
1 and a bit teaspoons of baking powder
15g lard
190ml water

Mix all the dry ingredient together and then add the lard with your fingers untill it looks like breadcrumbs, then add the water and mix until its smooth. Split into 10 balls and roll them out thin.

You want your frying pan hot, cook them until their coloured.

To assemble, take one cooked flour tortilla's and put a spoon of refried beans on it then sooth it out over the tortilla, add the pigeon mix, grate some mature cheddar over the top, chop some coriander up and sprinkle it over and wrap.
Ferricks

Re: Pigeon Burrito

Post by Ferricks »

These sound MEGA!

And on a practical prepping note.... they can be made completely on a cooking surface - so ideal if no oven available.