Hydration drink

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
KalPrep

Hydration drink

Post by KalPrep »

I in no way claim to have come up with this but it is a variation on something my mother always used to give me when ill. There is a show about food allergies with some of the crew from embarrassing bodies and this was proposed as a hangover cure. I have used something similar for years to treat diarrhoea, generall illness, fatigue, dehydration or even when having done a lot of exercise or work outside.

1/2 pint of water
4 teaspoons of sugar or honey
1 teaspoon salt
Some fruit juice or finely chopped/mashed fruit such as apples, orange, lemon etc. Use more water if using chopped fruit

Mix it all together and you'll find it tastes like the 'salts' hydration powders you can get, basically because this is what you pay a few quid for in powdered form.

It's the same principle as Lucozade, the concentration of salt/sugar assists in the uptake of the water and salts/minerals and generally within about 30 mins you will notice the effects.

Honey is a great supplement also to this if available as it has analgesic (I heard also antibiotic but can't confirm) properties which is great for colds, sore throats and flu etc when put in warm water with fruit.
Carrot Cruncher

Re: Hydration drink

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Good stuff kalprep. I think a lot of people might neglect the need to add salt and other vits and minerals when they need to rehydrate.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Good stuff kalprep. I think a lot of people might neglect the need to add salt and other vits and minerals when they need to rehydrate.

Yep, a lot of Service personnel were dropping like flies in Iraq and the Med Centre took a while to realise that they were drinking so much water they were flushing their bodies of the vits and minerals. Sorted that one out with lucozade sachets. :? :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
KalPrep

Post by KalPrep »

So that's where all the bloody MOD budget went, just to think they coulda just used sugar, salt and some local fruit! :roll:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

KalPrep wrote:So that's where all the bloody MOD budget went, just to think they coulda just used sugar, salt and some local fruit! :roll:
Yep by try getting the average squaddie to do that every day... :lol:

whereas...... just open sachet and pour into bottle... shake and drink simples :lol:

IIRC they are now part of the new issue Ration packs instead of screech :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

saw something similar on Make your own drugs using rose-hip "berries" as the fruit part and then salt, bi carb, syrup etc.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My neighbour is a community nurse. She works in a deprived inner city area near here. When she visits kids who have suffered Diarrohea (did I spell that right? :lol: )she ALWAYStells Mum to let some coca cola real or supermarket brand ,to go flat and give to Junior.
She told me these houses ALWAYS have coke for the kids and is the perfect rehydration drink.
Simple medicine.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

KalPrep wrote:Honey is a great supplement also to this if available as it has analgesic (I heard also antibiotic but can't confirm) properties which is great for colds, sore throats and flu etc when put in warm water with fruit.
Am I right in remembering that the true benifical bits from honey depend on how its processed? A lot of the stuff you buy in the supermarket has lost the active ingredients through processing so you have to get the more expensive stuff that has that little number on it, telling you how active it is. Is this right or am I jabbering rubbish? I seem to recall reading something about it somewhere but thought it worth asking, esp if you were to use honey to make compresses for first aid (like the ol' Romans did back in their day.)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Chef

Post by Chef »

I think it depends on what temp it was bottled at as to how it affects the natural enzymes in honey.

To be honest all I know about honey as a chef is that it keeps virtually forever, decades certainly, it is more easily absorbed by the body than most other forms of fructose and glucose, it contains amino acids in varying degrees and even if totally crystalised can be turned back into good ol runny honey by placing the jar into hot (not boiling) water, even after years of looking like a jar of sand.

Oh and it's delicious! :D

C
Erinlouiser

Post by Erinlouiser »

What a great recipie! I have the sachets on my list of things to stock up on but I may try this first as I already have a good stock of all the ingredients! I normally take the sachets as I suffer from migraines and find the sachet drinks help but they can be exspensive! :)