Rice and Beans

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Rice and Beans

Post by jansman »

There are vegetarians amongst us here at UKP,so as a confirmed carnivore(I am a Butcher!)I want some tasty survival recipes using rice/pulses/lentils.These foodstuffs are so cheap,and so easy to store it's a crime not to consider them.Help please?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
worried mother

Re: Rice and Beans

Post by worried mother »

jansman wrote:There are vegetarians amongst us here at UKP,so as a confirmed carnivore(I am a Butcher!)I want some tasty survival recipes using rice/pulses/lentils.These foodstuffs are so cheap,and so easy to store it's a crime not to consider them.Help please?
yes i have loads of veg recipes, i will dig them out for you and post tomorrow, a bit busy tonight, but promise tomorrow
jansman

Post by jansman »

That's great,thankyou.

Robert Frost.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Rose Eliot's 'The Bean Book' is my bible!

Hobo
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Can I ask about storage here please? Have just started prepping and bought a supply of dried beans/lentils this morning. Do I need to open the packets and tip them into containers? or leave them as they are? or what?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

dizzydays wrote:Can I ask about storage here please? Have just started prepping and bought a supply of dried beans/lentils this morning. Do I need to open the packets and tip them into containers? or leave them as they are? or what?
If it were me I'd just leave them in the packets they came in.
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

itsybitsy wrote:
dizzydays wrote:Can I ask about storage here please? Have just started prepping and bought a supply of dried beans/lentils this morning. Do I need to open the packets and tip them into containers? or leave them as they are? or what?
If it were me I'd just leave them in the packets they came in.

mayby even vacum pack them inside of there exsisting bags as extra protection.
beefy0978

Post by beefy0978 »

Since you are just starting out. Don't worry about the fancy packing just yet. Start gathering extra items that you would normally eat and rotate your storage (first in the store first on the plate). Start with an extra months worth, then three and so on. When you get to the sixth months worth of storage stage you will start to need longer term storage. You'll hear more about those techniques as you get deeper into this.
;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Buy them,store them,rotate them.The factory packing is great,just keep dry dark and cool.

Robert Frost.

Me.
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

ok - they can stay as they are for now.
I've got a tins question but I'll go find an appropriate thread so the mods won't come after me. One of 'ems already nicked the chocolate!
:shock: