The Versatile Ham Hock.

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Brambles

The Versatile Ham Hock.

Post by Brambles »

We love a good Ham Hock. As a child they were very popular in our household as they were meaty and cheap. They are still both. :D This one was £1.99.

So just what can you do with a Ham Hock? After slices for dinner there came.

Stock.

Soup.

Rissoles. The recipe is from the cookbook my mum used.

And finally Staffordshire Oatcake, a local delicacy stuffed with ham hock, onion and cheese. :D

HAHA! Take that phtotbucket. :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Re: The Versatile Ham Hock.

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Looks like photobucket have caught up with your account and turned off your third party hosting brambles, they got mine a while back, don't upgrade your account with them, imgur lets you do the same stuff for free still.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Cheers Jamesey. I'm NOT going to upgrade. I did try posting from my pooter but there's a problem there. Will have another go.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Nope, that still won't work. You'll all have to look at blank pics I'm afraid. :x
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Brambles wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:38 pm Nope, that still won't work. You'll all have to look at blank pics I'm afraid. :x
Use the forum attachments option from the tab just under the preview and submit buttons ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

That's what I did, Andy. Hey ho. :roll: but imgur works.(thanks Jamesey)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

No worries, I found Imgur took a bit of getting used to but it's actually nicer once you've found where everything is. :)

I like the look of the oatcake thingy, what is in the batter for it?
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I like the look of the rissoles and the oatcake. YUM! :D
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The Oatcakes are peculiar to Staffordshire (although northwest Derbyshire tries to elbow in on the action with their version!)
It's a yeasted batter of flour and fine oatmeal. We buy them by the 1/2 dozen. :)

That Rissole recipe fed the country through the war, just about every housewife had their version of it and it very much depended what you had (or didn't have) in the cupboard. Apparently it was a good way to use up the dreaded National Loaf!
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

They look interesting, I'll never find them for sale down here but there's a few recipes around, one article said they used to be sourdough, which would be easier for me if i can find a recipe that works, I usually have bread yeast around the place but I always have a sourdough starter going, mine is about ten years old now!