Pickled Dilly Beans.

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Brambles

Pickled Dilly Beans.

Post by Brambles »

I use this recipe, but have made a few changes to suit my taste.

http://pickyourown.org/greenbeans_pickled.htm

I add 1/2 cup sugar and omit the chilli flakes(what they call hot red pepper flakes) because I'm a wimp :D
Ordinary sea salt is fine.

I haven't tried (yet) all vinegar to avoid boiling water bath, but I may try a jar this year.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Jamesey1981

Re: Pickled Dilly Beans.

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Thanks for that Brambles, I'll give those a go.
I love anything pickled, in fact I could probably be happy eating a rat if it was pickled.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Yay! Thanks Brambles! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The first 5 jars are done. Each 500ml jar takes about 1/2lb of beans.

DSCN0254.JPG
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Very nice Brambles, I like most things pickled, I wonder if I could get my newly minted vegan daughter to eat them (she is right picky with veg :roll: ), but she does eat Pickled Dill Cucumbers so might be worth a shot.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Abagorth wrote:Very nice Brambles, I like most things pickled, I wonder if I could get my newly minted vegan daughter to eat them (she is right picky with veg :roll: ), but she does eat Pickled Dill Cucumbers so might be worth a shot.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it long term. :lol:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

My mum cured me of veganism when I went through that stage. She dished up all my favourite (meat) dinners to the family whilst I was languishing in a mire of salad and lentils. I cracked on day 4 :lol: (well it was sheepherders pie) :oops:
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

My ex-wife will try that no doubt, she is French and they don't admit that vegetarianism even exists let alone veganism :D

I only have her at the weekends and don't particularly want to spend the entire time fighting her on this. I was a veggie myself for seven years (Gf was veggie and the other couple in the flat share were vegans). It is the wanting to be vegan, but being really picky with veg that confuses me :?
Last edited by Abagorth on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I broke down and opened a jar the other day. In my defence it has been three years since I last made some. :D They are fab, still crisp and plenty of flavour. I believe I may have found the right variety to stand up to the preserving process, the canned ones were great too.