Nice pickling recipes.

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Nice pickling recipes.

Post by jansman »

The garden season is upon us with hopes of bumper crops! Here's a nice website by Sarsons vinegar with some simple recipes. Being a pickle fiend,I shall have a go at the cauliflower for certain.

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/meal-types/pickling
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Re: Nice pickling recipes.

Post by Brambles »

I am so looking forward to this season, as we like a good pickle too. Thanks for the linky, can't wait to get preserving!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Cheers, Her Maj is the pickler in our house so I'll show her it to see if she's interested. Don't get me wrong, I've been known to get pickled myself. :oops:
shocker

Post by shocker »

My grandfather taught me to boil the malt vinegar with honey and add the pickling spices at the end of the cook, then cool the mixture before use. This has the effect of a less acidic taste and added preserving qualities. Its always worked for me. I got my pickling spices from Foxes but they appear to be no longer trading which is a great shame.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:My grandfather taught me to boil the malt vinegar with honey and add the pickling spices at the end of the cook, then cool the mixture before use. This has the effect of a less acidic taste and added preserving qualities. Its always worked for me. I got my pickling spices from Foxes but they appear to be no longer trading which is a great shame.
What ratio honey to vinegar Shocks?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
shocker

Post by shocker »

Oooh, thats a tricky question, Bram ! ;) I've always done it to taste, as they say. Giving it some thought, I'd say a minimum of a couple of teaspoons of honey to a pint of vinegar up to half a jar per pint. I boil the vinegar gently to dissolve the honey, with some Foxs pickling spice.

I reckon its a bit specific (hows that for contradiction?) to what you are pickling and to your preferred taste. I like to at least take some of the acid taste out, mainly due to digestive problems rather than a sweet tooth. Cos I aint got many. Teeth that is... :(

I will have a rummage and try to find my old recipe notebooks - maybe I can be of a bit more help then ! :oops:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:Oooh, thats a tricky question, Bram ! ;) I've always done it to taste, as they say. Giving it some thought, I'd say a minimum of a couple of teaspoons of honey to a pint of vinegar up to half a jar per pint. I boil the vinegar gently to dissolve the honey, with some Foxs pickling spice.

I reckon its a bit specific (hows that for contradiction?) to what you are pickling and to your preferred taste. I like to at least take some of the acid taste out, mainly due to digestive problems rather than a sweet tooth. Cos I aint got many. Teeth that is... :(

I will have a rummage and try to find my old recipe notebooks - maybe I can be of a bit more help then ! :oops:
Ditto. I love pickles, but have always had to use the American method of 50/50 water and vinegar then boiling water bath the jars for the prescribed time. They taste better(obviously!) and are more delicate on the tum but lose a certain crunch. :roll: Can't win eh? :lol:

All I needed was a rough idea, I understand it's a personal thing, I myself use the ready infused pickling vinegar. This idea may just work as I never had much luck adding sugar apart from making it sweeter, a lot sweeter. :oops: :shock: