Potato skin or peel

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
grenfell

Potato skin or peel

Post by grenfell »

Enjoyed reading decaff's breakfast omelette post and noticed she peeled the potatoes . Not wanting to derail that thread I thought I'd start another to talk about potato skins. It's a topic that comes up especially when my sister in law comes round to eat as she always complains that the potatoes haven't been peeled. We tend to leave the skins on , I've even been known to use them like that for mashing , as I believe it tastes better and of course means less waste .
Baked potatoes are the obvious one that comes to mind when cooking in their skins and we tend to rub with oil and salt to produce lovely crisp and tasty skin.
Another thing we do is to bake all those tiny pots that seem to form , you know the ones a couple of inch or less across ones hiding in between all the "proper" sized ones. We bake them on a tray with a few onions , maybe a pepper and garlic , drizzle of oil . We tend to call them marble potatoes purely because of their size.
If working with peeled spuds then why not chop up the peel and fry till crisp , adds a good texture to a meal.
Are we alone in eating the skins or do others do the same or have any other interesting ideas?
Deeps

Re: Potato skin or peel

Post by Deeps »

If I'm just cooking for me I leave the skins on every form of tattie except roast I think. If I'm cooking for others I tend to peel them, Her Maj doesn't like mashed with the skin but I prefer them that way. I leave the skin on if I'm doing any kind of chip too.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

A cause of much debate in our house. And silent resentment, and dinnertime feuding.

I grow our potatoes so it pisses me right off when I see SWMBO throwing 20% away every time I serve them. She is also indoctrinating the kids by peeling theirs.

I have found a way that minimises waste - it is to cut a spiral in the skin along the long axis with just the tip of the knife, before boiling. The skin then slips off easily and without taking a load of spud with it.
digi

Post by digi »

featherstick wrote:I have found a way that minimises waste - it is to cut a spiral in the skin along the long axis with just the tip of the knife, before boiling. The skin then slips off easily and without taking a load of spud with it.
Drop into boiling water for 90 odd seconds - 2 mins, then simply rub the skins off ;)

If i do this, i dont put the skins back into compost as i see them as cooked food and put in the food recycling bags
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

Best thing to do with potato peelings, if you must peel them, is to deep fry the skins.

Kids and wife fight over this treat, sea salt and fresh ground pepper, a real treat
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Personally I don't mind leaving the skins on but son won't eat them unless they are jacket spuds or baby new potatoes. I can get away with sweet potatoes unpeeled if I make wedges with them. :roll:

You can make potatoe starch too if you peel about six of them, grate, put into a jug, cover in warm water and stir, pour them into a cheesecloth with a bowl underneath and squeeze the water out of them into the jug/bowl and you should see the starch in the bottom you can repeat this step till the water runs clear and no starch is left in the potatoes. Leave to settle a little bit and then pour the water away carefully to leave the starch in the bottom of your bowl. Dehydrate and when dry it will turn into powder.

You can use the grated potatoes to make potatoes cakes or add to any ingredients to make vegetable cakes or fish for fish cakes.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I truly never realised that this was such an issue! :lol: Spud peelings in our house get boiled for the fowls and rabbits. I dont like jacket spuds either. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

The funny thing is that while I inherited much of my prepping from my parents not peeling potatoes is one thing I didn't . My father always referred to potatoes boiled in their skins as "pig taters" .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

mongrel wrote:Best thing to do with potato peelings, if you must peel them, is to deep fry the skins.

Kids and wife fight over this treat, sea salt and fresh ground pepper, a real treat
You're not doing us Jocks any favours in the stereotyping here Mongrel. :lol:
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Deeps wrote:
mongrel wrote:Best thing to do with potato peelings, if you must peel them, is to deep fry the skins.

You're not doing us Jocks any favours in the stereotyping here Mongrel. :lol:
With mayonnaise......yum, must get him to make them the next weekend I'm home. Balance the salmon and steamed broccoli I had for tea. :lol:
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.