Japanese style Curry

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
metatron

Japanese style Curry

Post by metatron »

So I was on holiday in Japan this year and got hooked of their curry. You can buy Japanese curry blocks http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gro ... curry-100g but at £2.30 a pack, which makes one large curry its a bit high, so here's how you make you own.

The roux

Half a stick of butter
2 tablespoons of curry powder
4 tablespoons of garam masala
2 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon of chilli powder
1 teaspoon of black pepper
Enough flour to turn it to a solid.

Melt the butter and add all the spices and let them combine for two minutes before adding the flour and stirring until they combine into a extremely thick paste. Move the flour/spice mix in the pan for three to four minutes to allow the flour to cook out.

Remove the mix from the pan and keep to the side for later. You can make a massive amount of this and freeze for later use too.

For the curry

Chicken
Potatoes
Carrots
Onions

In the same pan, add more butter and a little oil and fry of the chicken, before adding the diced onions, then fry until brown. Next add the cubed carrots and potatoes, along with enough chicken stock to just cover and boil until the potatoes are done. Now add the roux you made earlier and mix until the curry becomes silky and thick.

This is best served with rice or noodles.

It should look like:
jansman

Re: Japanese style Curry

Post by jansman »

I will be off to Sainsburys. Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Re: Japanese style Curry

Post by Deeps »

This sounds interesting, I'm very fond of the Indian stuff (and Malaysian etc etc) so I'll have to have a wee go at this. Never heard of it before so thanks for the pointer.