samphire

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Selkie

samphire

Post by Selkie »

After picking up a box of the stuff in a offer in Tesco I'm hooked.

I planned to make some devious and interesting salad creation with it; hah! it was scoffed while I was stirring the main course. It's salty, like low calorie green twiggy shaped peanuts, you just munch.

I went to look up recipes and found it grows locally, abundantly - stuff Tescos!

All the recipes I have found seem to be either for samphire and fish or samphire with a lemony dip to eat alone.

A seafood paella served with flies kind of did for me with fish :roll:

I wondered if anyone else had samphire growing near them and what they cooked or served it with?
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.
alwayscross

Re: samphire

Post by alwayscross »

Samphire is delicious, also very good for you. I cant remember much but I believe when being digested it cleans out your insides and gets rid of the bad stuff, it also contains very good proteins.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
kamantiff

Post by kamantiff »

Try pickling samphire. It tastes great goes with all sorts of d dishes, also can be stored for months. There's plenty of recipes for it online that will help
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I live in Norfolk.... We export the stuff ;)

In fact I remember as a kid, an old boy with a horse and cart used to come round selling it.

Just boiled with bread & butter is supposed to be the 'correct' way to eat it

BTW No matter how some poncy TV chefs pronounce it, its Sam- Fer not Sam-Fire :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Thanks for that, everyone.

Specifically tha advice about it cleaning out the 'bad stuff'.

Haven't felt too well these last couple of days and have been off from work.

Think it might be time to get more samphire/samfer! :D

However you pronounce it it tastes great.
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.