Eating from preps

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
unsure

Re: Eating from preps

Post by unsure »

before she know`s it she will be on a regular diet like every one else . :lol:
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Whenever I'm out angling or camping/post hike, I love a bit of open fire cooking.
Has to be the perfect time to use up some old stores too.
Although we've a cooker in the camper, I love using an old massive frying pan, on/besides a fire.
My favourite go to recipe is to mix up a bread mix following directions. Allow it to rise in a oiled frying pan, when it's raised, beat it back down, empty on top a tin of stewed steak, or mince and onions and fold the dough back over the top, gently nip the edges, forming a huge bread (rather than pastry) pasty. leave by the side of fire, on top of dying fire whatever, turning when bottom is cooked through. It's not for the faint of heart, it comes out huge, it sounds 'orrible, but it's top scran!
Next time I'm gonna give it a go with a tin of chicken in white sauce with some added tinned sweetcorn.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

BlinkingCory wrote:Whenever I'm out angling or camping/post hike, I love a bit of open fire cooking.
Has to be the perfect time to use up some old stores too.
Although we've a cooker in the camper, I love using an old massive frying pan, on/besides a fire.
My favourite go to recipe is to mix up a bread mix following directions. Allow it to rise in a oiled frying pan, when it's raised, beat it back down, empty on top a tin of stewed steak, or mince and onions and fold the dough back over the top, gently nip the edges, forming a huge bread (rather than pastry) pasty. leave by the side of fire, on top of dying fire whatever, turning when bottom is cooked through. It's not for the faint of heart, it comes out huge, it sounds 'orrible, but it's top scran!
Next time I'm gonna give it a go with a tin of chicken in white sauce with some added tinned sweetcorn.

Ooohhhh that sounds amazing, especially the chicken version.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

:lol: fishing, a mess tin and some tinned grub are the Holy Trinity of a good feed!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Student food

Totally cant be bothered to spend ages on a meal and the assignment that I have produce, that is presented in such a biased way (two 'hint' references towards the pro side, one is general.) has to be done.

Chopped up quorn sausages, maggi noodles (curry flavour), mushroom stock cube and soy sauce.

Make up the noodles while frying the sausages with stock cube and soy sauce, add noodles to sausages and mix well, add pine nuts if feeling posh and more soy sauce to taste.

Eat and type.
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Myself and the good lady wife, recently undertook a weeks trip away in the camper. We took nothing that wasn't already in the camper and ate just fine. Below is my favourite from our little adventure.

In a big pan add approx. a heaped tablespoon of curry powder with approx. a tablespoon of veg oil. A teaspoon of hot chilli powder, half a teaspoon each of garlic and ginger powder.
Fry gently for 10 minutes.
Then add a tin of chopped toms, a tin of spinach, a handful of dried Onions, handful of dried mushrooms and half a handful of dried peppers.
Mix thoroughly, add a stock cube and about a half pint of water. Allow to cook until onions etc have become soft.
Add water as necessary if you like a wetter curry.
Drain two tins of chicken in white sauce of the majority of their sauce then lob them in as well, stir, five minutes later, job done.
We tried it yesterday with a can of lentils instead of spinach, it's just as nice.
For a total cost of maybe £4 it's a cracking curry, loads of it too and something we are going to do once a month to help rotate the prep stocks.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Sounds lovely. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:Myself and the good lady wife, recently undertook a weeks trip away in the camper. We took nothing that wasn't already in the camper and ate just fine. Below is my favourite from our little adventure.

In a big pan add approx. a heaped tablespoon of curry powder with approx. a tablespoon of veg oil. A teaspoon of hot chilli powder, half a teaspoon each of garlic and ginger powder.
Fry gently for 10 minutes.
Then add a tin of chopped toms, a tin of spinach, a handful of dried Onions, handful of dried mushrooms and half a handful of dried peppers.
Mix thoroughly, add a stock cube and about a half pint of water. Allow to cook until onions etc have become soft.
Add water as necessary if you like a wetter curry.
Drain two tins of chicken in white sauce of the majority of their sauce then lob them in as well, stir, five minutes later, job done.
We tried it yesterday with a can of lentils instead of spinach, it's just as nice.
For a total cost of maybe £4 it's a cracking curry, loads of it too and something we are going to do once a month to help rotate the prep stocks.
Sounds good mate, never tried it using dehydrated but I've found the best curries start with having the onions fried, then fried, then fried some more. I'm not sure how that would translate to doing it all from dehydrated, I'll be giving your recipe a shot though. I sometimes use the chicken in white sauce with dehydrated veg (and chilli) with diced and shallow fried tatties.

As an aside, even if I'm walking or camping I take wee vials of my curry spices, I take basil and oregano too, it can sex up boring packet meals, worth the minimal weight and space.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Many, many years ago when I was a single bloke, a mate and myself went on a ten week Indian Cookery night class. One night a week. Besides seeing it as an ideal opportunity to learn the tricks of the trade we also thought we'd get to meet women.
In reality, the only woman there was the instructor :)
Everyone else was a fat middle aged bloke LOL.

The instructor explained how to get the 'authentic' taste you'd get from a takeaway/restaurant.
Simply this was making a gravy (sounded strange to hear the base of a curry sauce being called a gravy) which was cooked slowly, as I suspect most of us cook our entire curries at home. This was simply a spiced onion and garlic and ginger sauce. That, she explained, was left simmering all day.
When making a curry, the other spices and chilli are cooked (dependant upon the curry of choice) the extra onion or peppers etc added and finally the meat/fish. Then a ladle or two of the Indian 'gravy'.
Other top tips I remember.
Corn Oil is used, Mazola.
Ghee isn't used as often as you'd imagine.
In the Indian restaurants, they actually use about three (!!) times the oil you'd imagine. Prior to serving, this oil is spooned off the curry and used again. Makes sense, a perfect pre spiced oil.

Prepping bit.
I don't know if anyone else preps with Gram Flour?
Simplest recipe in the world is chopped onion, gram flour and water to make it a claggy mess after mixing. With the addition of any Indian Spices you like, this is Pakora. Deep fry a heaped teaspoon worth of the mix and it's cracking.
My favourite spice mix is a simple chilli, turmeric and generic curry powder.
Works great with most left over veg too. Spuds, peas, cauli etc.
Obviously, the oil you've cooked them in is good for nowt afterwards, so we use half a bottle of fresh or cook up a batch when the oil in the deep fryer is ready for changing.
This is really, really great stuff and perfect 'beer' scran and an ideal way of getting rid of any leftover veg.
Half a bottle of oil (50p) Spices (what 20p?) Gram flour (as many pakoras as you want, but say 50p) leftover veg (nowt)
Honestly, your mates will love you after you knock these up.

ps. It ain't great with carrots!
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

I forgot to say, the important prepping bit.
This works adequately if dried onions etc are rehydrated with water and that water and onions used to mix with gram flour and spices.
Damn my brain!