Eating from preps

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Deeps

Re: Eating from preps

Post by Deeps »

Cheers for the curry tips, I'm always looking to try new ways to prep them, I find rapeseed oil is good. Mrs Deeps turns out a really good pakora batter, we've not done it for a while but haggis pakora is the shizzle ma nizzle, although we do all sorts.

For my generic gravy's I fry the onions until they're nearly mushed, add the spices and garlic/chilli/ginger with a bit of puree/tom puree then add a decent stock cube with water. I've done it in the slow cooker which is probably better but I've done it in the wok at more short notice. I have to confess, you've got me thinking about 'zombie store' curries, decent ones I mean, I think I'm going to need a play.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Trying a few things out from the dry stores. Today I made a non spiced rice and beans. 1/3 cup each of rice and dehydrated haricot beans with some crushed dehydrated Leeks and Mushrooms add a stock cube and cook everything til rice is tender. It was really comforting and tasty. Would be a good veggie meal. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:Trying a few things out from the dry stores. Today I made a non spiced rice and beans. 1/3 cup each of rice and dehydrated haricot beans with some crushed dehydrated Leeks and Mushrooms add a stock cube and cook everything til rice is tender. It was really comforting and tasty. Would be a good veggie meal. :)
That would be getting finished off with dehydrated chilli and garlic round at Casa Deeps, so not so "non spiced" admittedly. I love that kind of impromptu meal though, going through the lockers/fridge (or zombie stores) to see what you've got and put it together and voila, instant top scran.
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Brambles wrote:Trying a few things out from the dry stores. Today I made a non spiced rice and beans. 1/3 cup each of rice and dehydrated haricot beans with some crushed dehydrated Leeks and Mushrooms add a stock cube and cook everything til rice is tender. It was really comforting and tasty. Would be a good veggie meal. :)
Rice and beans is one of my staples, and yes, it doesn't have to be curried. Dried herbs work really well too, I tried a few, I'd say thyme or sage are my favourites. Never occurred to me to use leeks, though I've added any of mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn in the past. Barley instead of rice works well too for a change, takes the same time to cook as lentils, so that combo gets made a lot too.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

I'm a massive fan of soups! I plan my meals in advance and do a 'big shop' on a Sunday. However, as life does, sometime plans change, I get delayed getting home from work or have to travel and then we don't eat what we planned. This sometimes means by the end of the week we have left over veggies that are a bit weary and need to be used.

Bang them in a saucepan with some chopped onion, garlic, stock and some herbs/spices (depening on your taste - such as paprika, chili flakes & cumin) with a cup full of red lentils and boom you've got a decent meal that you can either eat, freeze to take to work next week for lunches.

This is also the reason I always keep frozen chopped carrots, sweet potatoes & butternut squash in the freezer - it's nearly an instant meal with very little work to do. :D
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

My wife and I are just beginning our prep journey over the last several months. We're stocking up on high calorie cans (mostly curries and tins of meat). As part of this, we're seeing which of these we like so we're incorporating the canned food in our 'normal' dinners. Today we're going to try and fit in a can of skimmed milk and some beef jerky. The canned curries are great - just as good as the ready-meal curries, but not quite as good as the boil in a bag curries. So we're eating from our preps all the time. Same thing for medicines - we dip into our ibuprofen/paracetemol/aspirin stash regularly.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

I am doing the same, just starting my food storing journey so trying lots of own brand cans from the big supermarkets (luckily have them all pretty close by) and keeping a spreadsheet of what is nice and what isn't.

Made myself a lovely chicken pie this evening, a tin of Chicken in White Sauce mixed in with a tin of sweetcorn topped off with a double layer of thinly sliced tinned New Potatoes, 6 mins in the Air fryer (got a handy non stick oven dish insert that fits snugly in the basket) and a lovely crispy pie, had enough mixture and potatoes to make another for the freezer :D