Store Cupboard Tuna Pasta

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
itsybitsy

Store Cupboard Tuna Pasta

Post by itsybitsy »

Easy peasy recipe for a tasty evening meal - and the majority if not all of the ingedients can be found in your store cupboard. This should serve 3/4 no problem.

Two 113g tins of tuna chunks/flakes
1 x tin sweetcorn
1 x 400g tin/carton chopped tomatoes
Garlic puree/fresh garlic- couple of teaspoons/couple of cloves
Tomato puree - couple of tablespoons
Fresh red chilli - chopped/dried chilli flakes (optional and to taste)

250g pasta of choice - I tend to use penne/rigatoni.

Cook pasta. Drain the tuna/sweetcorn. Drain a good two thirds of the tomato juice off but keep it as you can add it to the sauce depending on how sloppy you like it. Chuck all the ingredients into a saute/frying pan and heat through. Season to taste. Mix with pasta. Chuck some parmesan on if you like that kind of thing. DONE! :mrgreen:
Chef

Re: Store Cupboard Tuna Pasta

Post by Chef »

:D :D Very similar to the very 1st Italian dish I was taught to cook, many, many years ago which is called - Penne con tonno e piselli (Penne with tuna & peas).

I'm really not that good at ingredients lists I tend to just eye things up and taste alot but here's roughly how it goes:

Enough for 4 people

dash olive oil (not Extra Virgin or evo, that's for salads not cooking)
garlic how ever much you like in whatever form you like (except powdered... eeew)
500g/ml carton passata (sieved tomatoes) or 2 400g cans plum tomatoes run through a sieve
fgbp (freshly ground black pepper)
salt
1 x 185g can tuna steak/chunks (please don't use flakes the can is worth more than the fish is)
small handful garden peas, fresh, frozen or canned, whichever you have
500g bag dried penne or other similar shaped pasta, (rigatoni as maxilaura says above works perfectly)
Good few tbsp freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese (can substitute Parmesan just as well)

Put a large saucepan of water on to boil.

When the water is at a rolling boil and a small handful of salt, yep handful, about 2 tbsp, the water should be as salty as the Med, Chef used to tell me.... Wait till the water comes back to the boil and add your pasta. Cook until al dente, it means 'on the tooth' it's hard to explain, there should be a bit of 'bite', you either know when pasta is cooked properly or you eat soggy or hard pasta, whatever floats your boat.

Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan to med. heat, add the finely chopped, pureed garlic, saute gently until just beginning to colour (don't let it burn it will taste bitter), add the passata and stir, add about 3-4 'good' grinds of fgbp and a good pinch of salt, add peas, turn down to a simmer, put a lid on it, it spits alot, but let the steam escape you want to reduce the tomato sauce by about 1/3 to thicken it and intensify the flavour.

When the pasta is almost cooked fork the canned tuna into the passata so it breaks up, give it a good stir, check the seasoning.

Drain the pasta, add it back to the pan it was cooked in and then add the passata mixture, stir through the pasta well, serve, add a good grating of Pecorino, e mangare. :D

Buon appetito :D

It's what we had for dinner earlier this evening lol

C
metatron

Re: Store Cupboard Tuna Pasta

Post by metatron »

I quite like making roux (butter and flour), then using 50% fish stock (from a cube) and 50% milk, plus a hand full of strong cheddar, plus black pepper and parsley and then dumping two cans of tuner in it. It makes a very creamy sauce, to have with pasta.