Scottish Oatcakes

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
diamond lil

Scottish Oatcakes

Post by diamond lil »

I make these often, with varying success. If you overcook for even a couple of minutes then they go too hard. Filling and healthy.

Ingredients

* 225g (8 oz) medium oatmeal, plus extra for dusting
* 1.25ml (¼ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
* 1.25ml (¼ tsp) salt
* 15ml (1 tbsp) unsalted butter

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Put the oatmeal, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and mix well. Heat the butter and 150ml (5 oz) water in a small pan until the butter melts.
2. Make a well in the centre of the oatmeal mix, pour in the liquid and use a palette knife to mix everything together. The mixture will initially seem a bit wet, but the oatmeal will gradually absorb all the liquid to give a soft dough.
3. Lightly dust a clean work surface with oatmeal. Tip out the dough, then roll out to about 5mm thick. Use a small round cutter to stamp out the oatcakes or use your favourite shapes. Re-roll any trimmings and continue to cut out the biscuits. (Cut biscuits can be frozen uncooked, for up to a month. Freeze flat before packing into bags or boxes.)
4. Brush off any excess oatmeal, then space the oatcakes over 2 baking sheets. Bake for about 20 minutes, carefully turning the oatcakes every 5 minutes or so to stop them from steaming and going stodgy. When cooked they should be crisp and lightly golden. Lift onto a wire rack and leave to cool. (Will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.)
Alley

Re: Scottish Oatcakes

Post by Alley »

... and delicious with caboc:)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I love oatcakes but I hate cheese :shock:
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

Lovely Lil, thanks for posting this recipe. :)
Have to admit I do love them with cheese but also with my own home made bramble jam. Messy but lovely...(crumbs, sticky jam....) :D