tinned meals

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Lintymantis

Re: tinned meals

Post by Lintymantis »

so what do you do with the different kinds of liquid most tinned foods are in? the oils in tuna brine etc? do you dispose of it or just empty the whole can? seems a waste to not use it.
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

I wouldn't dispose of it, good nutrition in there. Depends what you are having - just pile it all in, maybe use some kind of thickener like potato flakes, save it and put it in a sauce, gravy or soup.

There's a lot of kinds of tinned beans around, some of them in vinaigrette or tomato sauce. Ready to eat as well, though they might like a bit of warming up on a cold day. I'm going to try some combinations with different tinned veg and see how that goes - good protein, good vitamins, filling, and low energy input. There's a few kinds of tinned veg around, so I think variety will be fairly easy.

I'm concerned about the lack of curry in my stores, was going to try to spice up tinned lentils, though I found tinned tarka dal so I may just be lazy.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jan Smits wrote:I wouldn't dispose of it, good nutrition in there. Depends what you are having - just pile it all in, maybe use some kind of thickener like potato flakes, save it and put it in a sauce, gravy or soup.

There's a lot of kinds of tinned beans around, some of them in vinaigrette or tomato sauce. Ready to eat as well, though they might like a bit of warming up on a cold day. I'm going to try some combinations with different tinned veg and see how that goes - good protein, good vitamins, filling, and low energy input. There's a few kinds of tinned veg around, so I think variety will be fairly easy.

I'm concerned about the lack of curry in my stores, was going to try to spice up tinned lentils, though I found tinned tarka dal so I may just be lazy.

If you've got the spices then you can curry anything, I store loads of the half litre boxes of passata, we use them in cooking all the time anyway and they keep for years. whatever you want to curry just make your paste out of onions, chillies, spices etc, fry it off and add.....pretty much anything and voila curried 'anything'. A post apocalyptic world without curry just wouldn't be worth living in. :D
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Oh, I've got the spices 8-)

I should've been a little clearer - I'm meaning for lowest energy input.

I have rice and beans and lentils to last until the end of the world, or at least a long time, but they do take a while to cook, and a fair bit of water.

Deeps wrote:A post apocalyptic world without curry just wouldn't be worth living in. :D
Shudders at the thought.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jan Smits wrote:Oh, I've got the spices 8-)

I have rice and beans and lentils to last until the end of the world, or at least a long time, but they do take a while to cook, and a fair bit of water.

Deeps wrote:A post apocalyptic world without curry just wouldn't be worth living in. :D
Shudders at the thought.
We've got loads of dried beans for chillies etc and plenty dried lentils and the like too, one of my concerns is the long boiling time to get them ready to eat, I've got some tins too but we do like to soak then boil for day to day stuff. One of my ongoing 'issues' is the balance between preps that we don't regularly eat balanced against the practical side of things.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:

Shudders at the thought.
We've got loads of dried beans for chillies etc and plenty dried lentils and the like too, one of my concerns is the long boiling time to get them ready to eat, I've got some tins too but we do like to soak then boil for day to day stuff. One of my ongoing 'issues' is the balance between preps that we don't regularly eat balanced against the practical side of things.
You do know you can cook beans and dehydrate them? It makes them 'quick cook' I've done it with most beans and chickpeas. Not tried lentils, I don't think it would work that well. Here's what I do, although I pressure cook mine before dehydrating.

http://realfoodliving.com/recipes/dehdy ... ried-beans
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
Deeps wrote:

You do know you can cook beans and dehydrate them? It makes them 'quick cook' I've done it with most beans and chickpeas. Not tried lentils, I don't think it would work that well. Here's what I do, although I pressure cook mine before dehydrating.

http://realfoodliving.com/recipes/dehdy ... ried-beans
That's a great idea, I hadn't even considered precooking them, thanks for the pointer, I've already bookmarked the link. :D
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

What a great idea! Thanks for posting Brambles.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Phew, the future of South Asian food is secure! :D
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

One I've used a lot is tinned stewed steak (or mince), tinned new potatoes and tinned peas (I'm not a fan of tinned carrots) I cut the spuds a bit smaller and throw it all in the pan. Years back it was known as airborne stew.