the humble spud

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
Decaff

the humble spud

Post by Decaff »

Just thought I would share some things I do with spuds.

Leftover baby new or even tinned potatoes can be made into the following.

Potato salad, just cut in half and add to them mayonnaise and some rehydrated chives. Mix all together in a dish and its delicious.

Cut into smallish chunks and put into frying pan with small amount of any oil you like, add in your favourite curry paste or spices and fry till they just start to crisp up and are cooked through they make a great side dish to a curry and can also be added into any curry dish along with any leftover veg you have.

Mash together with cabbage, peas, grated carrots and finely chopped onions and form into small cakes. Fry these till they are as crisp as you like then fry, poach or scramble a couple of eggs to go on the top.

Just a couple of ideas as I know tinned potatoes can be very boring.

Enjoy!! :D
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Quercus-robur

Re: the humble spud

Post by Quercus-robur »

Thanks for that. Sometimes I wish potatoes provided all the nutrition and fibre we need to survive. I do love them so. Another simple snack or side made with potatoes is to chop them into very small pieces (half a cm by half a cm) and fry them in a small amount of olive oil (any vegetable oil will do but I personally prefer olive oil) and Worchestershire Sauce with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry until golden. A really tasty snack for such few ingredients.

Also, a tip for making amazing creamy mash is to add a raw egg just before you mash the potatoes. Only one egg though. Two makes the mash too runny.

One of my favourite types of mash though is lumpy mash. I think I have heard it referred to as Champ before. Simple take 4 large Maris Piper potatoes and a medium sized onion. Chop and boil the potatoes but leave the skins on. Also finely chop the onion and cook in oil for about 5 minutes but depends how well done you like your onions. Once the potatoes and onion are done add to the same pan and mash together adding some Sea Salt and a healthy offering of Pepper. Add Sea Salt and Pepper to taste but I personally am generous with the pepper. Gives it more of a kick and coupled with the potato skins and onion makes it feel like Mash for Men :).

Another useful way to use the humble potato is to chop up and boil (I always leave the skin on potatoes) then add to a pasta/curry sauce in place of rice or pasta. Useful when SHTF and you can grow your own potatoes but not so easily get a hold of rice or make pasta.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Love spuds.

Lovely recipes you posted too. I will give the first a try this week.

Never added an egg to mash before so that's a new one to me.

Love creamy mash in a bowl with bit of gravy and smothered in mint sauce. Total comfort food for me.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Next time you make yourself some creamy mash add a raw egg and you will be pleasantly surprised. Also, let me know what you think of the fried potatoes in Worchestershire Sauce.

The great thing about potatoes is that there are so many things you can do with them and it doesn't take many other ingredients to have a tasty meal or snack.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.