Old Style

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
itsybitsy

Re: Old Style

Post by itsybitsy »

I really fancy basket weaving too. And weaving - I think I'd be much better at stuff like that then tracking wild boar through the undergrowth! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikeandrod

Post by mikeandrod »

Weaving is something that I often think about - if there was a total society meltdown it wouldn't take long for people to run out of clothes suitable for all the work that will need to be done. There's a spinning wheel and a large table loom in my parents loft but last time I looked there were no sheep in there so would have to do a midnight raid on a wool shop if TSHTF. :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You can collect wool from fences and bushes, and card it then spin it by hand using a spindle. You can buy carders and spindles as well as wheels. I can do it all but would go round the twist ( :mrgreen: ) if I did it for long .
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

You could actually unpick existing garments and reknit the wool into new garments, couldn't you?

Likewise with other materials to be rewoven I guess. You'd need to build a loom first though - no small feat! :shock:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

If need be yes, unravel old woolies to make new ones. We'd have to turn-sides to-middle of sheets, and turn collars and cuffs. Gawd, it might not be worth surviving, with all that nitpicky work waiting for us !
If it was a full-on "Survivors" type thing then maybe we'd be in real trouble compared to the old days. They at least could weave & all wore wool. We all wear Taiwan/Chinese synthetics !
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote:If need be yes, unravel old woolies to make new ones. We'd have to turn-sides to-middle of sheets, and turn collars and cuffs. Gawd, it might not be worth surviving, with all that nitpicky work waiting for us !
If it was a full-on "Survivors" type thing then maybe we'd be in real trouble compared to the old days. They at least could weave & all wore wool. We all wear Taiwan/Chinese synthetics !
Woollen undewear would be a bit itchy! :shock:
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Nice bit of Merino wool for underwear might be the answer, or even some nice bamboo :mrgreen:
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

They were saying on the radio the other day that bamboo will be the natural fibre of choice in the future due to its quick growth and green credentials
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It's nice to wear but bloody horrible to knit.
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

I can make patchwork quilts... Even from the small scraps, I'm making a hand stitched one now from all the bits I've got left from over the years mixed with some new fabric. Bamboo quilt batting/wadding is also making an appearance for quilters, although I haven't used any yet to compare with the cotton.

I can also knit, but like yourselves would like to learn how to weave AND make baskets.