Old Style

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
diamond lil

Re: Old Style

Post by diamond lil »

On the OS theme, go and google "Tinkers Bubble". That's taking OS a bit too far and honestly puts me off life at all post S*** :evil:
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

Oh bloody hell! Itsy, I love the thatch, but it makes me wonder if I've got the right mind-frame to actually live post s*** :(

Don't TPTB usually call these types of groups... Cults....
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I can think of quite a few things to call them. And all of them make me want a deep hot bath and a white fluffy towel ! :mrgreen:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

deleted duplicate post
Last edited by itsybitsy on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote:I can think of quite a few things to call them. And all of them make me want a deep hot bath and a white fluffy towel ! :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the idea of low impact housing itself - as in the building - a little 'Shire' house would be wonderful (http://www.simondale.net/house/). But I still want a hot shower and a flushing toilet - inside the house!
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Very hippish and probably people who can't sustain 'normal' relationships with others around them! Do the young children attend school or are they 'homeschool'?
So simple living can be done but can go too far. I still think its important to learn some of these old fashioned skills, though!
southernPrepper

Post by southernPrepper »

Also hypocrites,

'[We] have strict principals of not using fossil fuels.... [but] ...have a huge steam-powered locomotive engine.'

I don't care that it runs on straw, it's very existence is firmly rooted in the use of fossil fuels including oil for lubrication.

Unless you're living in a mud hut completely off grid and refusing to use modern electricity, gas, roads, transport, hospitals, school, sanitary aids, medicine or anything else that does use those things like everything manufactured or imported then you are just playing at it really.

I like technology, it's what separates me from the Neolithic and that is a good thing.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

southernPrepper wrote:Unless you're living in a mud hut completely off grid and refusing to use modern electricity, gas, roads, transport, hospitals, school, sanitary aids, medicine or anything else that does use those things like everything manufactured or imported then you are just playing at it really.

I like technology, it's what separates me from the Neolithic and that is a good thing.
No reason why you cant have the best of both worlds in my opinion, I like technology but also like learning to do things for myself.
Rob121

Post by Rob121 »

carrot cruncher iv got a begginers basket weaving kit if your intrested? iv made two small baskets out of it and still got about 90% of the willow. ill throw everthing i got in including the book.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I you want the best of both worlds, try this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jdIm7grCY

I wll be building one of these for myself as soon as I acquire a plot of land. This is luxury but living at one with the planet.

Be lucky