DIY Wet Wipes

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
redskies

DIY Wet Wipes

Post by redskies »

I love wet wipes, they're fantastic for everything from cleaning up kids to scrubbing coffee stains off the carpet. But I like to make things for myself, and I don't like a lot of the chemicals used in them, nor the waste they generate. So I thought I'd make my own.

The receipe I found says a cup (8fl oz on this side of the Atlantic) of witch hazel, a teaspoon of glycerin and some essential oils, to make it smell nice.

Most receipes get you to use heavy duty kitchen roll. I got OH to pick up a pack of J cloths, with the idea that I can wash them and reuse. I didn't have the glycerin handy, so I've made a switch. 4fl oz of boiling water, with the teeniest bit of my own soap dissolved in it, and 6fl oz of witch hazel. I also added a wee bit of vitamin e (wheatgerm) oil.

I've cut the cloths to two sizes, one lot for faces and hands (I tend to wipe other peoples kids off, I can't help it, it just sort of happens!) and the others for wiping shelves in the shop, and for cleaning off my teaspoons - I've got no kitchen there, and the kettle is inside, the nearest sink outside.

I've put them into an old icecream tub, and put the mix over them. Feels pretty good on the hands front - yes, I tried it out, of course I did! - and I'll let you know how it goes with the rest of it :)
featherstick

Re: DIY Wet Wipes

Post by featherstick »

I have to say I absolutely love this post - the inventiveness of it. I'm going to try it, we get through a lot at home.
redskies

Post by redskies »

They work pretty well for what I want them to do, and I don't think I need to change the receipe either. I used a bit of cedarwood oil and they smell nice too :)

Featherstick, I like to understand how things work and try making them. Even if I only do it a couple of times, I'll remember, and then I can make what I need if I have to. A lot of things I just carry on with, and I think these will be one of them. I can make almost everything I need for them, even the distilled witch hazel.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I mentioned this to SWMBO and she said that we don't even need to buy J cloths, we can just wash the used wetwipes (within reason : ) ) and re-charge with the mixture.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I thought I'd collected hygiene info really comprehensively, and I'd never seen this - thanks for catching this, featherstick, and redskies, thank you so much for posting! This is great!
redskies

Post by redskies »

featherstick wrote:I mentioned this to SWMBO and she said that we don't even need to buy J cloths, we can just wash the used wetwipes (within reason : ) ) and re-charge with the mixture.
You could indeed, but remember that they're designed to be one shot deals, so they may well not last too well.
When it comes to washing, I'm going to use a teeny bit of fairy liquid and put them on a short wash, ought to do the job.
The other thing that would work for wipes is a worn towel, or old t's. You can use almost anything you like, just so long as you don't mind the feel of it and you can wash it.

Arzosah, I've heard wet wipes referred to as 'a shower in a package'. Very accurate!
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Just a quick note.
I'm a member of a folk dance group and we're one of the black-face traditions, most of the women in the team use wetwipes/ babywipes to remove the blacking with no problems.
However nearly all the men don't, because any stubble at all catches in the wipe material.

Wipes are useful for doing your Feet & Forks though
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
redskies

Post by redskies »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Just a quick note.
I'm a member of a folk dance group and we're one of the black-face traditions, most of the women in the team use wetwipes/ babywipes to remove the blacking with no problems.
However nearly all the men don't, because any stubble at all catches in the wipe material.

Wipes are useful for doing your Feet & Forks though

But not, I think, the Lancre Morris Men, run by a friend of mine :P

Rather than wipes, slather your face with any half decent moisturiser, massage it in a bit, then use a flannel soaked in hot water to wipe it off. It'll probably do the job. And wipe *with* the stubble grain!

(I have considerable experience with Morris Men/Molly Men/Straw Bear stuff. You're a right mucky bunch!)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Small world.... You go to Whittlesey this year ?

Sanex and a flannel (we use the water based pancake)... And I have a black towel and flannel just for dancing-out
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
redskies

Post by redskies »

LOL, no, but I know a few folks who probably did - and, if I remember them properly, helped provide the music. I have family mere miles from that point :)

(They used soot in my peripheral days. That's fun to scrub off :P )