Soap Plants

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
redskies

Soap Plants

Post by redskies »

If this should be elsewhere, please move it!

Interesting article on plants high in saponins, and useful for washing with. I've used soapwort - I have seedlings coming along, and some dried root - it's very good, and very gentle too. It's used to clean things like the Bayeaux Tapestry, because it's so effective but gentle. I'm kinda wishing I had the climate and space for a soapnut tree now though!

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/ ... lant-soaps
preppingsu

Re: Soap Plants

Post by preppingsu »

redskies wrote:. I'm kinda wishing I had the climate and space for a soapnut tree now though!

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/ ... lant-soaps
That's exactly what I thought! :lol:
redskies

Post by redskies »

When I get a few hours spare, I'm going to see about turning some of my homemade soap into washing powder/liquid. And I think I've found a way to avoid using fabric softener, although that might take some fiddling with. I have no problem at all with handling wet wool, but wet wool/man made fibre mixes gives me the heebie jeebies!

I'll post about those when I get to it :)
junmist

Post by junmist »

Have either of you tried to make the soft soap that they mention in the article
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
redskies

Post by redskies »

It's easy enough with soapwort and cornflour. Or you can work on making your own wood lye, add oils and go from there. If you go that route, however, it's extremely important to check the PH value of your soap before you use it!
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

redskies wrote:It's easy enough with soapwort and cornflour. Or you can work on making your own wood lye, add oils and go from there. If you go that route, however, it's extremely important to check the PH value of your soap before you use it!
I know nothing about "wood lye", but if you use lye (caustic soda) be very careful. Use eye protection, rubber gloves and cover up as much as possible. Causes very nasty burns and can blind you. You need to leave the soap to cure for a few weeks before use. Personally I'd only use it in drains, but I see food grade lye is used in everything from chocolate to noodles. !!! I would stick with the soapwort :).
redskies

Post by redskies »

Somewhere around here - have a dig in my previous posts - there are basic tutorials for making hot & cold process soap, and also shampoo :)

The BIG thing to have on hand if you're using caustic soda, or lye is white vinegar, because that's how you neutralise the CS.

Wood lye isn't the same thing as the caustic soda you buy in the shop, it has a different chemical composition, and if you make your own, judging the strength can be a wee bit hit and miss, although there are ways to do it.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

[quote="redskies"]Somewhere around here - have a dig in my previous posts - there are basic tutorials for making hot & cold process soap, and also shampoo :)

The BIG thing to have on hand if you're using caustic soda, or lye is white vinegar, because that's how you neutralise the CS.

Wood lye isn't the same thing as the caustic soda you buy in the shop, it has a different chemical composition, and if you make your own, judging the strength can be a wee bit hit and miss, although there are ways to do it.[/quote]

That makes sense. Caustic soda - alkaline + vinegar - acidic = neutral. Knew that Chemistry O Grade would come in handy sometime. :lol:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8121 soap making with caustic soda
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Soapwort is a plant that spreads like wildfire. Plant it out if you are actually going to harvest it and use it on a regular basis, or alternatively, it might be better to find ways of reducing its likelihood of spreading such as potting it rather than planting it in the garden.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks