How-To: Making Candles

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Holomon

Re: How-To: Making Candles

Post by Holomon »

Just reading through this thread, and it reminded me of this;

Not sure if it actually works or if it's a gimmick, but the idea seems pretty cool. I guess the candle will gradually get smaller but it's potentially a good way of dealing with the recycling bit quickly and without mess.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Holomon wrote:Just reading through this thread, and it reminded me of this;

Not sure if it actually works or if it's a gimmick, but the idea seems pretty cool. I guess the candle will gradually get smaller but it's potentially a good way of dealing with the recycling bit quickly and without mess.
That is a fantastic idea! Making as you're using! Can this mold/stick be bought somewhere?
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

It's from a design by a guy called Benjamin Shine - so far I think it's just a concept, I've looked on his website but there doesn't seem to be any way of buying them.
I'll keep an eye out though and post here if they become available, until then, it's off to the shed with a candlestick and some perspex tube I think :(
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've seen it before....... Sorry to say, its bunk.

A correctly wicked candle thats not in a draft won't dribble enough to make it work, and most of the wax should be consumed anyway.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Now that has taken away my excitement! Oh well I shall continue to buy the ones in the jars which last months if burnt correctly.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

ForgeCorvus wrote:I've seen it before....... Sorry to say, its bunk.

A correctly wicked candle thats not in a draft won't dribble enough to make it work, and most of the wax should be consumed anyway.
Candles do have leftovers though surely? It looks like the idea is the dribble goes round this plasticky thing and down the fresh wick.
I guess it'd take more than a few other candles to get a whole one formed in the chamber below, but I can't see how it's impossible.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Sorry mate
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar