Prepping error...

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Malthouse

Re: Prepping error...

Post by Malthouse »

Not beating myself up, money is the root of all bad decisions after all :D

Anyone else want to confess to a Prepping error? 8-)
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Getting rid of all our camping gear (but is was before I became a prepper!).
We've had to buy camping stove etc again but haven't quite got round to a new tent.....just not feeling the love for camping anymore :D
unsure

Post by unsure »

preppingsu wrote:Getting rid of all our camping gear (but is was before I became a prepper!).
We've had to buy camping stove etc again but haven't quite got round to a new tent.....just not feeling the love for camping anymore :D
get every thing else except the tent , everything else is adaptable to camping or caravaning but equelly good if you have to bug out long term .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

If it makes you feel better, I am not convinced camping is essential to surviving the SHTF. Finding shelter is clearly important, but really camping is only relevant if you are evading. IMHO.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Just started a discussion on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9225
greyman

Post by greyman »

My daughter was after a sewing machine so I asked on free cycle and ended up getting two hand powered sewing machines,kept one for myself ;)
You never know when it will come in handy.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Thank you for the warning! Have at present in garage a very old Singer, which I think is a treadle. I got it on Freecycle and thought taking it was a mistake, because it needs a major overhaul. Will now keep and get it back up to scratch. Bought old Bernina machine for quality of stitch and will be giving away or selling much newer Toyota, which doesn't stitch as well, but of course the Bernina won't work if the power goes out! Glad my tailoress Mum taught me to sew! :D
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

FEISTY wrote:Thank you for the warning! Have at present in garage a very old Singer, which I think is a treadle. I got it on Freecycle and thought taking it was a mistake, because it needs a major overhaul. Will now keep and get it back up to scratch. Bought old Bernina machine for quality of stitch and will be giving away or selling much newer Toyota, which doesn't stitch as well, but of course the Bernina won't work if the power goes out! Glad my tailoress Mum taught me to sew! :D

Here's one of my two:

28K models - hand cranked, one made in 1901, the other 1904. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Mine is something like that, but a bit manky :( . Lady was giving it away and my husband collected it. It took three of us to get it out of the boot, 'cos it's in a really heavy wrought-iron table. It smells too!!!!! Will dig it out in the better weather and see what can be done with it. Like to swap? :D
Mad Scientist

Prepping "erroll"

Post by Mad Scientist »

Talking about prepping errors one in particular springs to mind: When I was heavily pregnant I bought in what I thought was enough food to last well into the first couple of weeks of new motherhood. I completely failed to take into consideration how decrepit I would be after what turned out to be an emergency Caesarian and my daughter was a week late, to boot. Not surprisingly we were holed up at home for ages and ran out of food early. Just to add insult to injury the whole breast feeding thing never happened either. Instead of new parenthood being a cornucopia of food, drink and lactic abundance I ended dispatching poor hubby to the shops at 10.00 at night to get bottles, formula (grrrrr), bread and normal stuff because it all went wrong and I wasn't in a fit condition to drive and do it myself. Humph!!!!!!