A woodburning stove without the wood

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
tirawa

Re: A woodburning stove without the wood

Post by tirawa »

Well, that's the paint burned off, and rather than fit a hotplate I decided to drill some more holes in the top. This lets the flames lick out which will be much better for cooking. The three original tabs on the top that used to secure the carrying handle are ideal for supporting a variety of different sized pans :D
Attachments
DCP_0681.JPG
DCP_0681.JPG (46.47 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
DCP_0680.JPG
DCP_0680.JPG (42.54 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Very tidy job :)
Bongo

Post by Bongo »

Fantastic job, id be tempted to cut off the bottom rung and weld on 3 large old bolts (8-10inch)with rounded heads, just for the aesthetic look of it, 3 legs also makes it easier to keep stable ive found.
You might want to have a think about the hotplate idea, the ammount of money you could save on electric being turned into hot water is noticeable.
Wonderer

Post by Wonderer »

Never even thought about this, I have a wood burner myself and keep well stocked but this has given me something else to put into my project book. Thanks excellent post.
Area 8.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Take care burning candles, they throw out an awful lot of nasty fumes you don't want to be breathing in if you want to wake up in the morning, make sure to ventilate the room well.

Why are you making 'gel' fuel?
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Nice Job, and unlike my esse woodburner stove, it is portable, so you can take it anywhere, good piece of recycling too.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
tirawa

Post by tirawa »

rik_uk3 wrote:Take care burning candles, they throw out an awful lot of nasty fumes you don't want to be breathing in if you want to wake up in the morning, make sure to ventilate the room well.

Why are you making 'gel' fuel?
I'm not making 'gel fuel'. I buy comercially available 'chafing fuel' that is safety rated for indoor use. Of course I ventilate the room, but to be frank Rik, I've been burning candles and paraffin lamps indoors for decades and have not woken up dead yet :mrgreen:
tirawa

Post by tirawa »

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments people :)
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Have you tried cooking or heating water on that thing as of yet? I would have a concern about the temperature being a bit low
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
tirawa

Post by tirawa »

nickdutch wrote:Have you tried cooking or heating water on that thing as of yet? I would have a concern about the temperature being a bit low
The heat output is a little dissapointing using standard cans of gel fuel. Good enough to heat precooked food but I wouldn't want to depend on it for boiling a pan of spuds. I tried completely removing the top of a can of gel fuel with a can opener and the heat ouput shot up, but the fuel burned completely away in about 40 minutes instead of the usual 3 to 4 hours. If a complete circle of metal was removed from the top of the stove instead of just drilling holes and the fuel was raised on an internal base or I found a decent burner design it would probably improve it's efficiency as a means of cooking, but as a means of emergency heating it does make a difference to a cold room. Much better than the 'flowerpot' candle heaters. :)