A woodburning stove without the wood

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
greyman

Re: A woodburning stove without the wood

Post by greyman »

I tried this the other week in the shed while i was messing about with coke can meths burner,put it inside my gas bottle burner and was suprised at the amount of heat it gave off,even the can stove on it's own warms the shed up quite quickly,i also tried the alchol jel you get for sterilising your hands in hospitals etc, that woks quite well.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

tirawa wrote: At the moment I have it in my living room with 7 tea lights burning in it and the amount of warmed air spilling out of the door opening is quite impressive. :)

IIRC, each tea light is giving off between 25 watts and 80 watts so you could have

7 X 80 = 560 Watts heat output from that thing.

Not a massive 3KW heater, but not bad for

7 X 2p = £0:14 worth of candles

(if you get Asda's cheap tea lights)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
tirawa

Post by tirawa »

IIRC, each tea light is giving off between 25 watts and 80 watts so you could have

7 X 80 = 560 Watts heat output from that thing.

Not a massive 3KW heater, but not bad for

7 X 2p = £0:14 worth of candles

(if you get Asda's cheap tea lights)[/quote]

You could probably fit at least 20 tea lights into this heater by adding a piece of flat plate inside for them to sit on, but I think that's probably taking things a tad too far :mrgreen: The 7 tealights I used ended up burning for around 2 hours, making the top of the gas bottle too hot to touch, but all things considered I think I'll stick with alcohol as the main fuel.
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

Great post, thanks for sharing, its always great to see how we adapt things we find or have lying aroung to become functional pieces of survival equipment. Well done, but as mentioned perhaps buy a CO detector if burning such fuels and in containers not ment for this purpose.
tirawa

Post by tirawa »

KrisWard wrote:Great post, thanks for sharing, its always great to see how we adapt things we find or have lying aroung to become functional pieces of survival equipment. Well done, but as mentioned perhaps buy a CO detector if burning such fuels and in containers not ment for this purpose.

Burning alcohol based fuels produces a minimum amount of CO2. If you have a gas fire fitted, or used to have, and you still have your wall ventilators, fumes of any kind won't be a problem. As long as you make sure to remove all paint/glue residues from the gas bottle and your alcohol container and only replace them with paints that are rated to cope with temperatures up to 500 C you should be ok. A paraffin heater produces much more in the way of unpleasant gasses, along with soot particles and the smell of paraffin. Personally I don't mind the smell of burning parrafin, but there you go :mrgreen: Of course, our American friends take alcohol burning to a different level, adding essential oils to the alcohol gel, or small amounts of vegetable oil or salt to make the flame spit and crackle slightly for the full open fire effect :) I did a search online for alcohol burning stoves and some of the commercially available items are pretty spectacular, but they also come with a spectacular price...
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

tirawa wrote:
I did a search online for alcohol burning stoves and some of the commercially available items are pretty spectacular, but they also come with a spectacular price...

That's why mine is made from a cheap chimnea from a budget shop for about £30 and three 1/2 L bioethanol burning tins which cost £20 for six making the complete assembly only £50, and it doesn't look too bad (for those who care about that sort of thing).
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

CO2, Carbon Dioxide, isn't so bad. You'll notice its presence long before it gets to lethal levels (after all, your breathing reflex is caused by CO2 build up not lack of oxygen)

CO, Carbon Monoxide, on the other hand is poisonous (starting around 30 ppm, I think) and cannot be detected by the human body.

Alcohol is a safer indoor fuel, however if you're going to burn anything inside anywhere get yourself a CO detector.

This is the one I bought http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lifesa ... larm-35503

At 11 quid delivered and good for seven years why wouldn't you ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

http://www.critical-environment.com/blo ... oxide-co2/

Carbon monoxide versus carbon dioxide
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thanks Su.
I've been looking for something like that.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Superb post, thanks for that.

The gel fuel pots are called 'chafing fuel' if I remember rightly, used to keep food on buffets warm.