Gas bottle wood burner

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Oldarborman

Gas bottle wood burner

Post by Oldarborman »

Well I have spent most of the day making my wood burner for my garage, once I had de- gassed it i cut out what was necessary to allow for venting and bobs your uncle, I still need to weld my chimney on but that I can do next week so far I have spent £0.00, I tried to load some pics but every time I try it says they are to big :roll: my children call me a Luddite :lol:
AREA 10
pseudonym

Re: Gas bottle wood burner

Post by pseudonym »

Luddite :mrgreen:

Can't beat a good wood burner. And one that costs nowt is even better. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

I was going to give this a go , but then i had a kids party and had one of those non refillable helium bottles left (about 18" tall and pink) . the "skin" on this bottle seems quite thin and workable and the protection around the valve would make good feet if turned upside down ... I presume as a normal gas bottle the skin is quite thick all fixtures need to be welded , but with this thin one i could perhaps still cut a door with an angle grinder but drill and bolt on the hinges and catch (no access to a welder)... has any one got any ideas on this ?? and would this bottle contain any material of any sort that would hinder in turning this into a stove ( as i have been told that some gas bottles contain a honeycomb in side) The purpose of this stove would be only used in extreme circumstances and not used everyday as its quite thin . Many Many thanks in advance, Gary
Survivalist85

Post by Survivalist85 »

Im in area 10 and due to my work have a few spare gas bottles if anyone wants to give this a go...i know i do. No doubt i will be chatting to OB for his advice!!
Survivalist

Better To Have & Not Need Than To Need & Not Have!
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

More than happy to help, If anyone wants any advice on how to build a gas bottle wood burner, just ask its easier than you think, and if you close enough I'll pop round and help set it up if you need it :D
AREA 10
Survivalist85

Post by Survivalist85 »

In fact if there is enough interest in this area (or people are willing to travel) we could have a get together at my office. Lots of indoor and outdoor space, lots of gas bottles and ill try and organize some tea and coffee.
Survivalist

Better To Have & Not Need Than To Need & Not Have!
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

Sounds like a plan, my tools are mobile, great idea :D
AREA 10
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

Here she is - just got to put a chimney in at the back ( car exhaust ??)
Attachments
stove.jpg
stove.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
gcp1975

Post by gcp1975 »

and probably a surface to burn on !!
Attachments
open stove.jpg
open stove.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
jean405